Loy

Default Sony KV-20S42 Television blanking out

Is there a way to adjust how much gain this TV's video input jacks have?
When the television is running on either of the two video inputs (fed by a
satellite receiver and by a VCR) the display will act like televisions used
to do years ago when I serviced them and the AGC allowed the video signal to
be overdriven. Black (mostly) display, no sync, etc. This usually comes on
after it has run a while (few minutes to couple of hours). I can switch to
an off-the-air signal via the RF input and it will run all day and night.
The set is a Sony 20" model #KV-20S42, manufactured Sept 99 and labeled with
chassis #BA-4D. I saw mention couple of nights ago of putting televisions
into service mode using the remote. I'm hoping for either a pot or soft pot
controlled via a setup menu to adjust the video input gain.

My TV repair experience is 20 years rusty - (Lots of Tube type TVs and
hybreds) although this newsgroup helped keep one of my Toshiba TVs running a
few years ago when I read about a person having the exact prob I had. After
a couple of rounds of try this - didn't work - try that, the person was told
that a specific cap in the +5v power supply section was bad. Looking at my
schematic it all made sense and 50 cents later both the original poster and
me both had running sets. Belated thanks to whoever it was that knew which
$0.50 part would save my sanity.

Art

Probably need to check the AKB and video processing circuits in the set,
menu settings most likely will not suffice in curing your symptom. I presume
the video inputs from the other devices are at the standard level??
You will require the SONY Service Literature to help trace the signal from
the avio ports thru the processor, etc. If in doubt you may try calling SONY
technical services or having it serviced by an authorized SONY
servicecentre.