Chris Hughes

Default Technics SU-CH900 switching off

I have a Technics SU-CH900 which is an amplifier module from a mini
hi-fi. When I press the power button it frequently comes on then goes
straight back off again. Recently, it blew the T1.6A fuse on the mains
input. When switching the unit on, I've noticed that one of the relays
(possibly RL701) makes a makes a short grating noise as opposed to a
nice sharp 'click'. I have dismantled the relay and found only minimal
carbon which I have cleaned off. I suspect mains smoothing capacitors
(by the noise the relay makes) though my experience with audio
electronics is very minimal.

Does anyone have any pointers. Please let me know if I'm in the wrong
newsgroup!

Many thanks.

--
Chris
Jerry G.

Did you check that any speaker wires are not shorted?

It is possible that the main output IC's and their drivers may be going
defective, and or some other support components.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Chris Hughes" wrote in message
I have a Technics SU-CH900 which is an amplifier module from a mini
hi-fi. When I press the power button it frequently comes on then goes
straight back off again. Recently, it blew the T1.6A fuse on the mains
input. When switching the unit on, I've noticed that one of the relays
(possibly RL701) makes a makes a short grating noise as opposed to a
nice sharp 'click'. I have dismantled the relay and found only minimal
carbon which I have cleaned off. I suspect mains smoothing capacitors
(by the noise the relay makes) though my experience with audio
electronics is very minimal.

Does anyone have any pointers. Please let me know if I'm in the wrong
newsgroup!

Many thanks.

--
Chris

Chris hughes

I have traced two faulty diodes in the PSU marked D709 and D710. They
are transparent with a white band marking the cathode and a single
green band around the middle. Now I am not used to component level
stuff, does anyone know what these could be?

--
Chris