D O'Reilly

Default Speed!!

I have an electric fan in my bedroom when even on its slowest setting
is far too
powerful,can anyone tell me how to adjust the fan with some sort of
device or switch to lower the rpm's,your help would be most
appreciated.

Dave.
ElTorito

put a ligth bulb in serie or any other simple device that uses power.

The power of the device determines how much u slow down

Cut one wire and put the bulb !

U could also get one of those electronic power limiters - but is more
expensive

ALLWAYS BE CAREFULL AND ISOLATE CORDS WHEN U WORK WITH
THE HOUSE VOLTAGE - ITS DEADLY.

"D O'Reilly" wrote in message
om...
I have an electric fan in my bedroom when even on its slowest setting
is far too
powerful,can anyone tell me how to adjust the fan with some sort of
device or switch to lower the rpm's,your help would be most
appreciated.

Dave.

Sam Goldwasser

"ElTorito" writes:

put a ligth bulb in serie or any other simple device that uses power.

The power of the device determines how much u slow down

Cut one wire and put the bulb !

U could also get one of those electronic power limiters - but is more
expensive

ALLWAYS BE CAREFULL AND ISOLATE CORDS WHEN U WORK WITH
THE HOUSE VOLTAGE - ITS DEADLY.

Be careful wil electronic speed controls. The fan probably uses an
induction motor. Cheap speed controls may not be compatible.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Bob Shuman

The simplest solution is to install a speed control switch at the wall
switch. The simple ones are resistive and usually provide four settings
(off, low, medium, high speed). If the fan also has a light, then it will
require a second wire from the fan to the wall switch so that each can be
independently controlled.

The additional wall fan speed control will then be wired in series with the
(usually a pull chain switch) speed control provided with the ceiling fan.
You can try various combinations, such as fan speed chain set to high or
possibly medium along with the wall switch to get the "low" speed you
desire.

Most simple combination (fan speed and light dimmer) wall switches can be
found in the electrical department and run US$20-$30 at the home
improvement/hardware stores.

Good luck!

Bob

om...