Dan Fraser

Default Free Schematics

The Schematics For Free site is back on line. Check out:

www.schematicsforfree.mattsoft.net

Tweetldee

It's a real shame that you have the site so secure that files can't be
downloaded. I saw the note that indicates that in order to download files,
I have to shut down my firewall. I will not shut down my firewall just to
get around your lack of expertise on setting up a web site that's reasonably
protected from hackers. Loads of other sites have that problem well in
hand; I would suggest that you look around to see how it may be done without
requiring your visitors to disable their quite normal and accepted security
measures.

--
Dave M

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgement.
"Dan Fraser" wrote in message
. com...
The Schematics For Free site is back on line. Check out:

www.schematicsforfree.mattsoft.net

mike

Tweetldee wrote:
It's a real shame that you have the site so secure that files can't be
downloaded. I saw the note that indicates that in order to download files,
I have to shut down my firewall. I will not shut down my firewall just to
get around your lack of expertise on setting up a web site that's reasonably
protected from hackers. Loads of other sites have that problem well in
hand; I would suggest that you look around to see how it may be done without
requiring your visitors to disable their quite normal and accepted security
measures.

I downloaded a file. Didn't turn off my firewall.
YMMV,
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

Patch

"Tweetldee" wrote in message
It's a real shame that you have the site so secure that files can't be
downloaded. I saw the note that indicates that in order to download

files,
I have to shut down my firewall. I will not shut down my firewall just

get around your lack of expertise on setting up a web site that's

reasonably
protected from hackers. Loads of other sites have that problem well in
hand; I would suggest that you look around to see how it may be done

without
requiring your visitors to disable their quite normal and accepted

security
measures.

--
Dave M

I downloaded a file & didn't have to turn off my firewall. (Zone Alarm)

Steve Bell

On 26/4/04 3:38 pm, in article K99jc.35539$GR.4876783@attbi_s01, "Tweetldee"
wrote:

It's a real shame that you have the site so secure that files can't be
downloaded. I saw the note that indicates that in order to download files,
I have to shut down my firewall. I will not shut down my firewall just to
get around your lack of expertise on setting up a web site that's reasonably
protected from hackers. Loads of other sites have that problem well in
hand; I would suggest that you look around to see how it may be done without
requiring your visitors to disable their quite normal and accepted security
measures.

No problem here, accessed the site, downloaded to my limit, all behind my
firewall.

Steve Bell

Ken Weitzel

wrote:

It's a real shame that you have the site so secure that files can't be
downloaded. I saw the note that indicates that in order to download files,
I have to shut down my firewall. I will not shut down my firewall just to
get around your lack of expertise on setting up a web site that's reasonably
protected from hackers. Loads of other sites have that problem well in
hand; I would suggest that you look around to see how it may be done without
requiring your visitors to disable their quite normal and accepted security
measures.

No problem here, accessed the site, downloaded to my limit, all behind my
firewall.

Steve Bell

Hi...

No prob here, either. (zone alarm pro 4)

Take care.

Ken

Tom MacIntyre

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:21:24 -0500, "Patch"
wrote:

"Tweetldee" wrote in message
It's a real shame that you have the site so secure that files can't be
downloaded. I saw the note that indicates that in order to download

files,
I have to shut down my firewall. I will not shut down my firewall just

get around your lack of expertise on setting up a web site that's

reasonably
protected from hackers. Loads of other sites have that problem well in
hand; I would suggest that you look around to see how it may be done

without
requiring your visitors to disable their quite normal and accepted

security
measures.

--
Dave M

I downloaded a file & didn't have to turn off my firewall. (Zone Alarm)

Me too, with Zone Alarm.

Tom
Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE

Tweetldee wrote:
It's a real shame that you have the site so secure that files can't be
downloaded. I saw the note that indicates that in order to download files,
I have to shut down my firewall. I will not shut down my firewall just to
get around your lack of expertise on setting up a web site that's reasonably
protected from hackers. Loads of other sites have that problem well in
hand; I would suggest that you look around to see how it may be done without
requiring your visitors to disable their quite normal and accepted security
measures.

The OP included a warning on his website. That is polite. He is not
compelled to solve every problem of certain firewalls with certain
browsers in the world. If his website does not work well with
Symantec/Norton firewall and Opera and he says so that is OK IMHO.
How can he be supposed to purchase the software, which only some
have chosen to install on their clients, to be able to test every and
so many more possibilities of s/w combinations?
I never felt any inclinations to use the Symantec/Norton firewall.
If you need a "firewall" on your desktop computer because a dedicated
firewall is not an option for you, then you might look for
"Tiny Firewall". It is free, freely configurable and quite watertight.
But any "firewall"-program has its drawbacks and cannot challenge
a real firewall on a dedicated, well maintained machine.

No problem with downloads here and I have a real firewall (Linux
NATed with ipchains and an additional FreeSwan VPN).
Just open the .pdf and then save it. The .zip files can be downloaded
conventionally ("right-click blahblahblah" depending on the browser
you use).

To the OP:
Thanks for http://www.schematicsforfree.mattsoft.net/ !

Kind regards, Eike
Tweetldee

"Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE" wrote in message
Tweetldee wrote:
[...]

I also use ZoneAlarm Pro, and have no problem downloading files from any
other site. There must be a configuration problem with that site, otherwise
there would be no need to have that notice posted. Obviously, other folks
have encountered the same problem.
I think it is up to the site owner to make his site as friendly as possible.
I realize that it may not be possible to make a site compatible with every
combination of browser/firewall combination, but i don't see anything
especially strange about my setup..
Zone Alarm Pro 4.5, Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1, Windows XP Home SP1, etc.
Nothing exotic there.