Steve Bell

Default Howtek D4000 drum scanner repair

I've been asked to replace the drum encoder motor in a Howtek D4000-02 drum
scanner, badged as a Crossfield 240. I repair electronic equipment for a
living, but have never seen one of these before. The original owners of the
equipment ordered the drum encoder motor kit, it came with a basic fitting
instruction sheet, but makes repeated reference to the service manual, and
also referenced a jig to initially fix the motor position. This company then
went into receivership, so I can't speak to their support staff, and its
assets were purchased by the people I know. Theoretically, if the scanners
previous owners were capable a replacing this part, then so should I. From
the limited instruction supplied with the spare part, it appears the jig is
only for initial positioning, it is then adjusted with reference to a green
indictor light. Has anyone ever replaced this motor, if so, how important is
the jig and access to a service manual?

Steve Bell