Robotron Tom

Default Samsung Quality???

I saw a Samsung 65" HDTV at Best Buy today for $2100. It looked nice with a
pretty decent picture. I've read that in the past Samsung was low quality
and crap in the support department. Would this be a big waste of money???

Thank you,
--
Robotron Tom *remove nospam to email*

Flashback Arcade Sales at: http:// www.arcadeguy.net

"All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
Leonard G. Caillouet

Compare it to the Hitachi, Mitsubishi, and Toshiba models in the same price
range. The difference should be obvious, even out of the box with no
calibration. I can see no reason to pay that kind of money for a Samsung,
considering the performance that I have seen from them.

Leonard

"Robotron Tom" wrote in message
I saw a Samsung 65" HDTV at Best Buy today for $2100. It looked nice with

pretty decent picture. I've read that in the past Samsung was low quality
and crap in the support department. Would this be a big waste of money???

Thank you,
--
Robotron Tom *remove nospam to email*

Flashback Arcade Sales at: http:// www.arcadeguy.net

"All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

rednelb

Samsung USEd to be cheap. And may still offer some low end crap. However,
most of Samsung's line of electronics is very nice.

I have a 50" DLP RPTV from them that kick ass.
I have a 17" LCD Monitor/TV that kicks ass.
And I have a VI660 Cell phone that does damn near everything. It kicks ass.
Plus I have two other TV's (19" and 29") That have kept on tickin through
the years.

Samsung currently hold the title for worlds largest LCD tv (57") and largest
plasma (80")

I'd pick a new Samsung tv or a Sony anyday.

"Leonard G. Caillouet" wrote in message
[...]

Robotron Tom

"Leonard G. Caillouet" started a controversy
when he said in :

Compare it to the Hitachi, Mitsubishi, and Toshiba models in the same
price range. The difference should be obvious, even out of the box
with no calibration. I can see no reason to pay that kind of money
for a Samsung, considering the performance that I have seen from them.

Leonard

I have a Toshiba 61" rear projection that has served me well for the last
7 years, now it has a blue skew in area 4 (left center), started a couple
months ago. But awesome pic until then and I suppose longevity is pretty
good for it's cost($1800 in 1997). I was starting my hunt for HDTV and
saw the price to be good($2100). The other brands hadn't dropped that low
in price for a HDTV ready as of yet. I only have 1 Samsung device, being
my computer monitor and it seems to be a good one so far.

Thank you,
--
Robotron Tom *remove nospam to email*

Flashback Arcade Sales at: http:// www.arcadeguy.net

"All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
David

Whatever you do, consider a different brand.
Samsung from a service standpoint is one of the worst.
They do not offer much in the servicer training, warranty reimbursement is
one of the lowest, the tech support is non-existant. The RPTV sets are
board level repair and Samsung has very high prices for the boards.

The image quality is sub-standard unless you are willing to have the set
calibrated and adjusted. Since they are usually so far off, they cost twice
as much to properly calibrate.

The more basic equipment from Samsung, standard size tv sets, vcr's, etc are
as good as the rest of the consumer grade stuff in the same price. i.e. your
monitor. But even then Samsung had a large batch of bad picture tubes not
that long ago.
when he said in :

[...]

Jason D.

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:24:12 -0500, "David"
wrote:

Whatever you do, consider a different brand.
Samsung from a service standpoint is one of the worst.
They do not offer much in the servicer training, warranty reimbursement is
one of the lowest, the tech support is non-existant. The RPTV sets are
board level repair and Samsung has very high prices for the boards.

Yes same here, I'm moaning about the samsung's lack of training
material, I need that real bad for the monitors. They're bit hard to
understand without it to repair effectively. Some of them had missing
info in part lists, wrong schematic (yes too often), also no info on
"error info" etc.

Samsung projectors is okay but getting boards set up for probing is
godawful MAJOR nightmare because of wires are too short that I can't
even prop the boards upright let alone tip them forward because the
chassis framework get in the way, other way they flops down, literally
must string them up.

The image quality is sub-standard unless you are willing to have the set
calibrated and adjusted. Since they are usually so far off, they cost twice
as much to properly calibrate.

Yes confirmed with their projectors, still doing it on new ones that
comes in for service. Still does have to do this also on any brands
not just samsung, through

The more basic equipment from Samsung, standard size tv sets, vcr's, etc are
as good as the rest of the consumer grade stuff in the same price. i.e. your
monitor. But even then Samsung had a large batch of bad picture tubes not

Hmm... actually samsung monitors and their regular TVs (up to 36") are
often are decent compared to citizen but I still wish they don't use
AKB in both. Weird brands like Prima is the asolute grabage.

Samsung regular tv's often has RCA CRTs, some citizen models does use
RCA CRTs (25" & 27"). I find that a big bonus, even better with JVC
using RCA CRTs.

Cheers,

Wizard
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Samsung has improved drastically, but I can't forget their Syncmaster 3(xx)
line. Nowadays things have improved dramatically...but the experience with
the SM3 monitors has stuck with me...

William

.Bill M

This is somewhat aside to the topic of quality, but...
When I lived in the Dominican Republic 6-8 years ago Samsung was the top
seller for TV sets.
Why?
They had a flurry of TV ads showing how their sets continued to work at
low voltage which is chronic in the country as opposed to the US import
brands.
I bought one just for that reason. Ok, $250 for a 13" color set but
that was the going price. I rarely, if ever, had 90 volts available in
my house, certainly not at evening TV viewing hours which was typically
in the low 80s on a good night.
This guy picked up a bit of humbar below 70 volts but would work without
cutting out down to about 55 volts AC. It was also rated up to 240 vac.
The set lasted 5-6 years (flyback went out) which I felt was normal but
I remain impressed with the model for this reason. Like any
manufacturer I suspect they all have their good and bad quirks which may
not be revealed for years to come.

-Bill M