Josh Nightingale

Default Turntable Help

Hi,
I am using an Aiwa PXE860 turntable currently. Recently, I was
playing a 33 rpm LP and all of the sudden, the speed went up
considerably for no reason. It sounded something like the LP being
played at 45 rpms.

I stopped playing the record, set the needle down and then tried
playing it again. Now, the record would not spin at all.

Later, I found that I could manually give the record a nudge in the
right direction and the platter would spin. However, the speed is
either too fast from the start of playing or it plays approximately
half of the LP before randomly speeding up.

Could anyone help me diagnose this problem? Is there a part I need to
replace or should I look into a new turntable? Thank you,
Josh Nightingale

Sofie

John Nightingale:
If this is a belt drive turntable then the first place I would look is the
belt. If stretched or worn it could ride up or down on the motor pulley
and cause the symptoms you described. Obviously there are other faults
having to do with the motor and the motor drive circuitry but the belt is
the first and easiest thing you should investigate and/or replace with a new
one.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Josh Nightingale" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I am using an Aiwa PXE860 turntable currently. Recently, I was
playing a 33 rpm LP and all of the sudden, the speed went up
considerably for no reason. It sounded something like the LP being
played at 45 rpms.

I stopped playing the record, set the needle down and then tried
playing it again. Now, the record would not spin at all.

Later, I found that I could manually give the record a nudge in the
right direction and the platter would spin. However, the speed is
either too fast from the start of playing or it plays approximately
half of the LP before randomly speeding up.

Could anyone help me diagnose this problem? Is there a part I need to
replace or should I look into a new turntable? Thank you,
Josh Nightingale

Udo Piechottka

Sofie schrieb:

John Nightingale:
If this is a belt drive turntable then the first place I would look is the
belt. If stretched or worn it could ride up or down on the motor pulley

That won't explain why the turntable runs faster. In case of a stretched or worn
belt the speed would decrease when the belt slips.

I often found noisy speed pots (possiply reference trims inside) causing this
effect.

- Udo

Leonard Caillouet

"Udo Piechottka" wrote in message

Sofie schrieb:

John Nightingale:
If this is a belt drive turntable then the first place I would look is

the
belt. If stretched or worn it could ride up or down on the motor

pulley

That won't explain why the turntable runs faster. In case of a stretched

or worn
belt the speed would decrease when the belt slips.

I often found noisy speed pots (possiply reference trims inside) causing

this
effect.

Of course it would explain it. A belt that is stretched can ride onto the
larger part of the spindle causing this effect. If adjustments were the
solution, he would not have experienced such dramatic changes in speed.

I am not familiar with the model, but if it is belt driven it likely needs a
belt and the spindle cleaned. If it is direct drive, there is likely a
defect that needs repair.

Leonard

michael turner

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 05:17:10 -0600, Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Really need brand and model info.

It's in the first paragraph, an Aiwa PXE860. Which is AFAIK a direct-drive
turntable, no-belts. Suggest the OP checks around the motor controller.

[...]

Email (ROT13)

Sofie

Leonard Caillouet:
You are EXACTLY CORRECT with your reply to Udo Piechottka...... thanks for
verifying what we both already knew.
I have seen many worn belts that ride up or down on the motor pulley and end
up riding on the LARGER DIAMETER edge, thus producing a much faster platter
speed.... that is why I made the belt the FIRST and most simple culprit to
check.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

Sofie schrieb:

[...]

Sofie

Michael Turner:
Thanks for the info, I could not find this model in my "book"....
..... if it is indeed a direct drive unit then the motor controller, as you
suggested, is certainly the area to look....... bad solder joints? faulty
connections to the platter speed feedback sensor? faulty pitch controls?
failing electrolytics? faulty lubrication of the platter? etc?
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"michael turner" wrote in message
news
[...]

Josh Nightingale

It's an Aiwa PXE860 belt driven turntable. Let me know what other
details would be helpful.

Someone elsewhere suggested to me that when turntable belts need
replacing, it is usually because they are worn and slipping (or torn)
and that the speed would slow down, rather than speed up. Any
thoughts on this?
Thanks
Josh Nightingale

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message ...
[...]

Udo Piechottka

Leonard Caillouet schrieb:

Of course it would explain it. A belt that is stretched can ride onto the
larger part of the spindle causing this effect. If adjustments were the
solution, he would not have experienced such dramatic changes in speed.

Ok, you're right, i see...

I never found these effects with belt driven turntables.

I am not familiar with the model, but if it is belt driven it likely needs a
belt and the spindle cleaned. If it is direct drive, there is likely a
defect that needs repair.

If is direct driven please come back to my pots or switches.

Udo

Sofie

Josh Nightingale:
I have seen many worn belts that ride up or down on the motor pulley and end
up riding on the LARGER DIAMETER edge, thus producing a much faster platter
speed.... that is why I made the belt the FIRST and most simple culprit to
check. Look at all the other reply posts to your original posting....
lots of good ideas.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

[...]

Michael Black

Udo Piechottka ) writes:
Sofie schrieb:

John Nightingale:
If this is a belt drive turntable then the first place I would look is the
belt. If stretched or worn it could ride up or down on the motor pulley

That won't explain why the turntable runs faster. In case of a stretched or worn
belt the speed would decrease when the belt slips.

Yeah, my turntable turned a quarter century old in December, and it needs
a little push to get started. One of these days, I really ought to
replace the belt.

Michael

Michael Black

Sofie schrieb:

[...]

If what you say is true, then it's specific to the turntable.

My Lenco has a design that does not allow for the shifting that
you attribute to turntables. The gizmo for changing speed moves
the belt up and down on the spindle, My recollection is that the
gizmo is relatively stiff, so the belt shift its position unless
one specifically moves it, via the speed lever.

Michael

Josh Nightingale

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I took off cover on the platter
and managed to push down the belt some. As of now... it is working!
At correct speed! I hope I have the problem fixed. I'll report back.
Thanks much to everyone for the suggestions about the belt and it
riding up and whatnot. I appreciate it much.
Josh Nightingale

(Michael Black) wrote in message ...
Udo Piechottka ) writes:
Sofie schrieb:

John Nightingale:
If this is a belt drive turntable then the first place I would look is the
belt. If stretched or worn it could ride up or down on the motor pulley

That won't explain why the turntable runs faster. In case of a stretched or worn
belt the speed would decrease when the belt slips.

Yeah, my turntable turned a quarter century old in December, and it needs
a little push to get started. One of these days, I really ought to
replace the belt.

Michael

Sofie

Josh Nightingale:
If the problem persists..... plan to replace the belt and clean up the
pulley and platter where the belt rides. If the belt is slightly stretched
or worn this can happen again.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

Udo Piechottka ) writes:
Sofie schrieb:

John Nightingale:
If this is a belt drive turntable then the first place I would look

is the
belt. If stretched or worn it could ride up or down on the motor

pulley

That won't explain why the turntable runs faster. In case of a

stretched or worn
belt the speed would decrease when the belt slips.

Yeah, my turntable turned a quarter century old in December, and it

needs
a little push to get started. One of these days, I really ought to
replace the belt.

Michael

jakdedert

Sofie wrote:
Josh Nightingale:
If the problem persists..... plan to replace the belt and clean up the
pulley and platter where the belt rides. If the belt is slightly
stretched or worn this can happen again.

If it's old (and it probably is, they haven't made many TT's in recent
years), make plans to buy the belt NOW. There's little doubt that it needs
replacing, even if the original problem doesn't reappear.

jak