Leonard G. Caillouet

Default STK392-180 data, replacement for STK392-110

I have a Pioneer SDPA50 that needs convergence output replaced and have been
told by more than one tech that the STK392-180 is a superior replacement for
the -110 original. I have not been able to find a datasheet nor any other
info regarding this sub. The Sanyo site has the sheet on the STK392-110 and
lists other chips in the 392 series but not the -180. Anyone have any data
on it?

Leonard

Jason D.

Subject: STK392-180 data, replacement for STK392-110
From: "Leonard G. Caillouet"

.......and have been
told by more than one tech that the STK392-180 is a superior replacement for
the -110 original.

While I don't have the data sheet myself, a supplier I use does have them, and
he's said the 180 is heavier. FWIW, I've used the 180s in place of the 110s
often and they run cool with no problems whatsoever.

I wondered where the -040 fits in? This is used in JVC projectors.
Samsung of newer projectors are using totally on the convergence ICs
to do centering not just convergence since yokes doesn't have
centering rings.

I fixed few of Samsung projector including one with short lap solder
that came apart in blue convergence vertical coil, frying the pair of
resistors across vertical output and owner didn't bring it in, thought
it was part of tv. !?! Original manufacture mistake. Other three
soldered connections between windings & wires were twisted together
properly and sleeved with heatshrink tubing. Left them floating
inside the black yoke shroud. Secured wires hot glue to prevent
stress on the convergence yoke wires.

Samsung latest convergence yoke is silly simple. A ferrite tube with
four sectors of one layer of thick windings (appox 20 turns each), no
centering rings. No wonder those two STK-392-110 ran HOT & baking the
heatsink white stuff rock hard in 6 months.

Cheers,

Wizard

John Del
Wolcott, CT

Jason D.

From:
(Jason D.)
Date: 3/3/2004 7:46 PM Eastern Standard Time

Samsung latest convergence yoke is silly simple. A ferrite tube with
four sectors of one layer of thick windings (appox 20 turns each), no
centering rings. No wonder those two STK-392-110 ran HOT & baking the
heatsink white stuff rock hard in 6 months.

Samsung and Apex are the two projectors we don't accept for repair, no
exceptions. Pure garbage.

John

Whoops.

Samsung's was 392-040 not 110's in samsung's projectors. The JVC also
use 392 ICs but it is -110 and has centering rings.

How come you said this samsung is "sh!t"? I'm really curious. The
circuit basic design is perfectly fine except for key items like the
too few turns on convergence yokes, flyback popping and like and way
it is designed in concept is "cheapish" but not too blatant.

I have no choice about that since our shop makes money on S-stuff and
is warrenty authorized. Along with RCA, Sony (yikes), Citizen etc
too.

Apex is total grabage totally agreed, below citizen but remember,
Citizen did relabel their stuff for major brands like JVC etc like
flat crt 20" combo with VCR or DVD was made by Citizen and slapped on
"JVC" and recoded micro to respond to JVC remotes. There was a short
run of 27" flat CRT sets made by Sharp. Nice set.

RCA still using distcerate convergence amp (individual transistors) in
their Scenium series. I MUCH prefer that. Whoever used 392'ers
should be sitting on those running pair all day screaming in pain from
those intense heat.

Cheers,

Wizard