Default Sony TV question

What does it mean when the top of the picture gets a little wider than the
rest of the screen? This is most noticable when text credits are scrolling
upwards. Can I adjust something? Is it repairable? Will it blow up soon?
Todd

Jerry G.

You did not mention the model number. This is common practice, so people
will know the model you are talking about. Sony makes many different models.

This is attributed from a vertical linearity problem, if I understand your
question properly. The text on the top is larger than the bottom, is what I
believe you are saying.

If the set was good when new, and it is not good at this time, this means
that there is something failing, and it should be checked. Your set will not
blow up, but eventually there will be a component failure, if defective.
Using the set with a failure that is occurring can lead to farther damage
over time, thus increasing the cost of service.

Making an adjustment to mask a fault, is not the proper fix. This would only
compound the fault. If you give your set to a professional service centre,
they should be able to properly service your set.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

wrote in message
What does it mean when the top of the picture gets a little wider than the
rest of the screen? This is most noticable when text credits are scrolling
upwards. Can I adjust something? Is it repairable? Will it blow up soon?
Todd

john

--
wrote in message
What does it mean when the top of the picture gets a little wider than the
rest of the screen? This is most noticable when text credits are scrolling
upwards.

Can I adjust something? No
Is it repairable? Yes
Will it blow up soon? No

Sounds like maybe a bad filter in the deflection section or related ciruits.

kip

Sorry, forgot to mention that it is a Sony Trinitron KV-27EXR90. I was
wondering if that symptom points to something fairly common and repairable -
I am a repairman (Audio Amplifiers) though I haven't worked on a TV since
they were still full of tubes! I don't have a schematic but would apreciate
any specific hints on where to look. Thanks for the replies.
Todd