Nigel Wilson

Default Mystery component. What is a PR?

I've got a Denon UD-M5 mini hi-fi CD changer unit with a blown
internal power supply.

The faulty component appears to be a device that looks like a small
resistor and is labelled on the board as 'PC003'. The device itself is
marked '315'. I'm guessing it's some sort of fusable link as it feeds
raw DC to the input leg of a 6V voltage regulator but am a bit puzzled
as I haven't encountered one before.

Can anyone tell me what this device is?

Thanks.

Nigel.
jakdedert

You got it. I just became aware of these in the last year or two when I
blew out two of them in a computer subwoofer/amp module. I was trying to
measure the aux voltage output on the back. I kept getting spurious voltage
readings all over the boards...then I noticed these two 'resistors' in the
+/- supply lines.

In my case, it was clearly marked on the board what they were; the
'disconnect' in my brain of seeing 'resistors' and reading fuse ratings
threw me off for a bit. I'm sure there's some color code for them.
Somebody will surely chime in with it. Beware they are not cheap; at least
compared to conventional resistors or conventional fuses. Live & learn....

jak

"Nigel Wilson" wrote in message
om...
I've got a Denon UD-M5 mini hi-fi CD changer unit with a blown
internal power supply.

The faulty component appears to be a device that looks like a small
resistor and is labelled on the board as 'PC003'. The device itself is
marked '315'. I'm guessing it's some sort of fusable link as it feeds
raw DC to the input leg of a 6V voltage regulator but am a bit puzzled
as I haven't encountered one before.

Can anyone tell me what this device is?

Thanks.

Nigel.

Nigel Wilson

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Have you any idea of the proper
name for these devices as I'm having problems looking them up in my
catalogues?

Thanks.

Nigel.

"jakdedert" wrote:

I kept getting spurious voltage
readings all over the boards...then I noticed these two 'resistors' in the
+/- supply lines.

Allodoxaphobia

On 1 Jan 2004 05:36:44 -0800, Nigel Wilson hath writ:
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Have you any idea of the proper
name for these devices as I'm having problems looking them up in my
catalogues?

PR = Phusible Resistor ? g snicker -- snort -- snerggle

HNY
Jonesy