Ian Molton

Default Sources of info to retrieve data off failing (failed)harddrives.

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:04:45 -0500
"Stellijer" wrote:

It's a WD Caviar drive.

Sorry to hear that. I too have had bad experiences not only with their utter garbage drives but also their ****E customer support.

--
Spyros lair: http://www.mnementh.co.uk/ |||| Maintainer: arm26 linux

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.
Stellijer

"Stellijer" wrote:

It's a WD Caviar drive.

Sorry to hear that. I too have had bad experiences not only with their utter

garbage drives but also their ****E customer support.

From all accounts, they're not a good choice for quality. They have cheap
drives but one should never rely on them.

I had a guy call me from WD, I returned the call twice and never heard from him
again

Ian Molton

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:49:29 -0500
"Stellijer" wrote:

I had a guy call me from WD, I returned the call twice and never heard from him
again

I never did get the refund they promised me.

also, buyer beware...

NEVER go direct to the manufacturer, even if your vendor tells you to. if you do, the vendor no longer has a responsibility to you, and worse still, manufacturers warranties DONT entitle you to new goods (they may offer refubs), which I think is disgusting.

Now I have a nice Seagate Barracuda (with 8M cache) and its lovely. super quiet and super super fast. (56MB/sec sustained and a low seek time too)

--
Spyros lair: http://www.mnementh.co.uk/ |||| Maintainer: arm26 linux

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.
Andre

"James Sweet" wrote in message news:jB2Cb.86499$_M.454302@attbi_s54...
"Stellijer" wrote in message

JW wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:34:46 -0500 "Stellijer"
wrote in Message id:
:

I peeled back the little seal on the drive in a pretty safe environment

(plus
didn't open the whole thing).

It appears the platters spin reasonably freely. The problem is that

the
motor
"jerks" the platters only a small amount at a time.

I'm very concerned that maybe the motor has burned out, in which case

I'm not
sure WHAT to do.

Much more likely would be the motor controller on the PCB.

That would probably be the best news since I could probably fix it by

swapping
out the PCB; an easy fix.

Could that cause the motor to make a "skreee" sound ever 30-60 seconds or

so,
too?

One thing to try- measure between each of the motor pins and ground,
one could have shorted to the case (GND) or open, in the former case
isolating it from ground might get it going.

Other possibilities- bad controller chip, bad bearings (too much
friction to let the motor start up, the skreee noise is the normal
ramping up of the drive waveform to get the drive up to normal RPM).

If it is a bad bearing, sometimes spot heating works.

It's surely not a head sound since the drive wasn't spinning yet.
It's
like the motor's gone crazy.

That sounds like the bearings were failing, which probably overheated the
motor driver and burned out one channel. You could probably just replace the
motor driver IC, or swap boards.