Thomas C. Sefranek

Default Pinout needed for TO-5 devices

2N324 PNP Germanium audio driver

pin1 (the tab) Emitter
Pin 2 Base (Connected to the case!) [Case 31(1)]
Pin 3 collector

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
I'm looking for pinout data for 2N333, 2N336, and 2N324. All are stated as
being TO-5, a variant, AFAIK, of TO-92. All three of these are

discontinued
numbers.

When I check NTEINC.com for a cross, I get NTE123A in a different package:

http://www.nteinc.com/graphics/diag21a.gif

National Semi and some others came up blank re. package data.

Where can I find the original pinout for these 2N devices?

(Which raises a general question: are all pinouts for all TO-5 devices the
same?)

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Allodoxaphobia

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:19:47 -0800, DaveC hath writ:
I'm looking for pinout data for 2N333, 2N336, and 2N324. All are stated as
being TO-5, a variant, AFAIK, of TO-92.

(Which raises a general question: are all pinouts for all TO-5 devices the
same?)

Are you kidding?
Of course not!
That would make too much sense. :-)

Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | OS/2
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | linux __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK
G. Skiffington

I concur with the typical pinout for the TO-5 transistor except for the
comment about the base being connected to the case......usual situation
would be that the collector was connected to case.....wonder if that was
just a typo (I'm fairly expert at those!).

Gord
Richard Crowley

"DaveC" wrote ...
I was not clear in my request. The 324, 333, and 326 are
all plastic, "D-shaped" form factor. Is this TO-92?

YES it is most likely TO-92

Is TO-5 only round metal?

YES

Perhaps you are having trouble because you are using
the wrong names for the case types.

Michael A. Terrell

DaveC wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:54:41 -0800, Richard Crowley wrote
(in message ):

"DaveC" wrote ...

I was not clear in my request. The 324, 333, and 326 are
all plastic, "D-shaped" form factor. Is this TO-92?

YES it is most likely TO-92

Is TO-5 only round metal?

YES

Perhaps you are having trouble because you are using
the wrong names for the case types.

Yes, most likely :-)

Thanks!
--
DaveC

Dave, those part numbers were obsolete by 1970, so I don't have any
data on the case, but I do have their basic data in the 1970 Motorola
Semiconductor Data Book.
--
I say, the boy is so stupid that he tried to make a back up copy of his
hard drive on the Xerox machine!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

John Fields

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 8:19:01 -0800, DaveC wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 2:27:00 -0800, Thomas C. Sefranek wrote
(in message ):

2N324 PNP Germanium audio driver

pin1 (the tab) Emitter
Pin 2 Base (Connected to the case!) [Case 31(1)]
Pin 3 collector

Thomas,
Thanks for your reply.

I was not clear in my request. The 324, 333, and 326 are all plastic,
"D-shaped" form factor. Is this TO-92? Is TO-5 only round metal? The only
pinouts I could find match your data, but not the devices on my PCB.

I need pinouts for these 3 device numbers in the black plastic "D-shaped"
form factor.

---
The 2N324, 2N326, and 2N333 are JEDEC registered devices, so their
housings should always be TO-5.

If you have plastic housed versions of the devices, then they are most
likely TO-92. The problem with that is that there are (according to
National's 1993 Discrete products databook) three pinout footprints for
the TO-92 package, the TO-92(92), the TO-92(94), and the TO-92(96).

Looking at the flat of the housing with the legs pointing down, the
TO-92(92) pins out EBC from left to right, the TO-92(94) pins out ECB,
and the TO-92(96) pins out BEC. So, to sort out what's what you'll
probably need to get into the thing's guts and do a little reverse
engineering.

The 1964 GE Transistor Manual has spec's for all three in case you need
to get equivalents, and "3" in their "Dwg.No." column corresponds to
TO-5. Unfortunately, they didn't list the package for the 2N326 but
it's rated for 7 watts so, clearly, it won't be in a TO-5 can. Much
less in a TO-92 package! I've scanned the page and I'll post it to
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic sometime today.

The spec's for the 2N326 are at:
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...l19500ss40.pdf
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...500ss40am1.pdf

which makes me think that if you're looking at something in a TO-92
package that has 2N326 written on it, then there's something drastically
wrong!

The definitive spec's for the 2N333 are at:
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...l19500ss37.pdf

P.S., I haven't forgotten about your schematic, I just haven't gotten a
round tuit... BTW, is that 24VAC relay what you have in mind for
shunting the resistors?

--
John Fields
John Fields

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:51:33 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

The 2N324, 2N326, and 2N333 are JEDEC registered devices, so their
housings should always be TO-5.

---
Oops...
They should be whatever the drawing specifies. TO-5 for the 2N324 and
2N333 and TO-3 for the 2N326.

--
John Fields
Richard Crowley

"DaveC" wrote ...
These all have the National logo (NS) followed by either "333",
"324", or "336". I presume that they are all 2N devices.

Not a safe presumption. They could be "house numbers"
or even a date code. (Date codes are sometimes encoded.)

Where did they come from? Those numbers sound too low
(old) to be in modern TO-92, IMHO.

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article ,
mentioned...
[...]

Well, the TO-39, which looks identical to the TO-5, will easily handle
7 watts, with a heatsink of course. The TO-39 case has the chip
bonded to the header, so the collector lead is usually welded directly
to the case.

AAMOF RCA made the 2N4036, 40412, 40346, 40347, & 40412 among many
others, all of which were in a TO-5 case and rated for a dissipation
of 7W or greater, in some cases 10W. This _was_ a true TO-5 case.

The spec's for the 2N326 are at:
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...l19500ss40.pdf
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...500ss40am1.pdf

which makes me think that if you're looking at something in a TO-92
package that has 2N326 written on it, then there's something drastically
wrong!

The definitive spec's for the 2N333 are at:
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...l19500ss37.pdf

P.S., I haven't forgotten about your schematic, I just haven't gotten a
round tuit... BTW, is that 24VAC relay what you have in mind for
shunting the resistors?

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article et,
mentioned...
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 9:51:33 -0800, John Fields wrote
(in message ):

which makes me think that if you're looking at something in a TO-92
package that has 2N326 written on it, then there's something drastically
wrong!

I misprinted: it's not "326", but rather "336".

These all have the National logo (NS) followed by either "333", "324", or
"336". I presume that they are all 2N devices.

First off, the 2N300s were germanium, with the exception of the Texas
Instruments 2N333 thru 338 series. Germanium transistors could not be
passivated like a silicon can, so they were almost always mounted in a
hermetically sealed metal container. If they were germanium and
mounted in a plastic container, they would not last long, after a
short time the plastic would contaminate the junctions.

So that means it's unlikely that these transistors were germanium.

The problem with that is that there are (according to
National's 1993 Discrete products databook) three pinout footprints for
the TO-92 package, the TO-92(92), the TO-92(94), and the TO-92(96).

That's the wonderful thing about specifications; there's so many to choose
from :-)

So, to sort out what's what you'll probably need to get into the thing's
guts and do a little reverse engineering.

Presumed so, albeit as a last resort...

P.S., I haven't forgotten about your schematic, I just haven't gotten a
round tuit... BTW, is that 24VAC relay what you have in mind for
shunting the resistors?

Yes. I had a new one just sitting around that I'd like to use.

Thanks,

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the

John Fields

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:34:10 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark
Remover" wrote:

Well, the TO-39, which looks identical to the TO-5, will easily handle
7 watts, with a heatsink of course. The TO-39 case has the chip
bonded to the header, so the collector lead is usually welded directly
to the case.

AAMOF RCA made the 2N4036, 40412, 40346, 40347, & 40412 among many
others, all of which were in a TO-5 case and rated for a dissipation
of 7W or greater, in some cases 10W. This _was_ a true TO-5 case.

---
Hogwash. I suggest you get a data sheet for a 2N4036 and take a look at
power dissipation VS case and ambient temp.

Here's one from Motorola

http://212.57.231.17/datasheets/67/OWOSNOVWOP.pdf

and even though they've got the Ta and Tc curves labeled backwards it
might give you a clue. Besides, I don't think the OP mentioned anything
about a heat sink, so even if it _was_ TO-5 instead of TO-92 it would be
operating in an enclosure at a Ta of 25° C, which means he wouldn't
even be able to get a watt out of it.

--
John Fields
Peter Bennett

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:14:48 -0800, DaveC wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 9:51:33 -0800, John Fields wrote
(in message ):

which makes me think that if you're looking at something in a TO-92
package that has 2N326 written on it, then there's something drastically
wrong!

I misprinted: it's not "326", but rather "336".

These all have the National logo (NS) followed by either "333", "324", or
"336". I presume that they are all 2N devices.

Checking National's site to see if they may be ICs:

LM333 - negative voltage regulator, TO-3 (no TO92 package listed)

LM336 - 2.5 volt voltage reference available in a TO 92 package.

LM324 - quad opamp - needs more than 3 pins, so not your part.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI

Remover" wrote:

[...]

No, it's _not_ hogwash! RCA Manual SC-15 Page 420. Right there in
black and white: 7W. To prove it, I'll post a pic of the page to
ABSE. Look for 2N4036 data sheet.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Al

In article ,
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark Remover"
wrote:

In article ,
mentioned...
Remover" wrote:

[...]

The Motorola spec. says max Vceo is -65V and max. current is 100mA. That
works out to 6.5W. Specs, though, may vary from manufacturer to
manufacturer.

Max power diss. is usually spec'ed with a case ambient of 25C. Kinda
hard to maintain this with any kind of long term lifetime. Many times
curves for various specs are extrapolated from lower power settings,
currents and the like for marketing purposes. Beware if you try to use a
component at its max ratings.

Al

--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article ,
mentioned...
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark Remover" wrote in message m...
In article ,
mentioned...
The 1964 GE Transistor Manual has spec's for all three in case you need
to get equivalents, and "3" in their "Dwg.No." column corresponds to
TO-5. Unfortunately, they didn't list the package for the 2N326 but
it's rated for 7 watts so, clearly, it won't be in a TO-5 can. Much
less in a TO-92 package! I've scanned the page and I'll post it to
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic sometime today.

Well, the TO-39, which looks identical to the TO-5, will easily handle
7 watts, with a heatsink of course.

The datasheets from the 60's and 70's often have such nonsense in the
bold type at top. If you read down further you see that this spec only
applies if you keep the case at 25C... which given typical TO-5 heatsinks
means an ambient temp below -60C if the average dissipation is 7 watts
for even a fraction of a second. And that the measurements above
the half-watt level were made using pulse techniques.

I have only one thing to say. Read the 2N4036 data that I posted to
ABSe.

Tim.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
John Fields

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:50:46 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark
Remover" wrote:

[...]

I did, a couple of times, and wondered why you didn't post the curve on
page 300 which, I'm sure, shows the power derating with elevating Tc and
Ta. Be that as it may, I'd be interested in seeing what you come up
with for a heat sink to allow the device (the transistor) to dissipate 7
watts continuously with a Ta of 25°C.

--
John Fields
Neil Preston

From the discussion, you probably won't find a data sheet that you can rely
on for these devices.

Assuming that it is a transistor and not an IC or other device, you can use
an ohmmeter to determine the pinout. If you use a digital multimeter, use
the 'diode test' function.

Connect the positive lead to any pin and check the other pins for low
resistance or low diode drop. Rotate the lead connections until you find a
connection where one pin has a low resistance to both of the other two.
That pin is the base lead. If it is the positive ohmmeter lead, the
transistor is NPN. If negative, it is PNP. Call that pin 2.

To determine emitter and collector, do a current gain test:
If it is an NPN transistor, connect the negative lead to pin 1 and the
positive lead to pin 3. Moisten the tip of your finger and touch it between
pin 2 (base) and pin 3. If you see a drop in resistance, pin 1 is most
likely the emitter and pin 3 is most likely the collector. (The moisture
path allows some trickle of base current from the positive meter lead and
turns on the transistor.) If you are not sure, reverse the connections to
pins 1 and 3 and repeat. The connection that gives the greatest drop in
resistance will have the pos lead on the collector and the neg lead on the
emitter.

If it was found to be a PNP transistor, reverse the polarity for the above.

Good luck....