Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default PbF + gold-plating + tinpest?

Anyone have a test for tinpest?
2 year old Mark Bass mini CMD 121P amp with rustling noise, bad pbf on
the guitar input socket.
One pin easily pulled out of its eyelet that remained well soldered into
the pcb hole. White deposit entirely overlaying the gold-plating of the
1/4 inch socket pcb pin.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 22/09/2016 13:12, N_Cook wrote:
Anyone have a test for tinpest?
2 year old Mark Bass mini CMD 121P amp with rustling noise, bad pbf on
the guitar input socket.
One pin easily pulled out of its eyelet that remained well soldered into
the pcb hole. White deposit entirely overlaying the gold-plating of the
1/4 inch socket pcb pin.

It was only white on initial extraction, grey now. With Brexit I suppose
the UK will not go back to pre-RoHS SnPb. Europe -UK, would still be the
largest consumer block globally and manufacturers like the fact
purchasers have to replace kit earlier than they used to
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

On 22/09/2016 13:12, N_Cook wrote:
Anyone have a test for tinpest?
2 year old Mark Bass mini CMD 121P amp with rustling noise, bad pbf on
the guitar input socket.
One pin easily pulled out of its eyelet that remained well soldered into
the pcb hole. White deposit entirely overlaying the gold-plating of the
1/4 inch socket pcb pin.

It was only white on initial extraction, grey now. With Brexit I suppose
the UK will not go back to pre-RoHS SnPb.

Boy, would I sure LOVE to see a return to the tried and true PbSn solder,
but I think the chances of that are a very long shot.

Jon