brewster

Default RCA F32676SB CTC197CD Flyback failure

Hello,
I have a 32" RCA model F32676SB ( chassis CTC197CD) that clicks the
degauss relay about 3-4 times before giving up. At first it would try
a few times and eventually come up, but with HV snapping sounds. I
checked out the FBT and saw signs of leakage so I plan on replacing it
but I'm wondering what else probably should be replaced or at least
checked. I plan on replacing the HOT and reflowing the assorted
transformer connections that seem to be a QC issue with this set. The
Degauss thermistor is also detached from its leads so I'll replace
that as well.
The info I have is the FBT is part #237506 and the HOT is a 2SC5148,
no clue on the thermistor #. Any insite would be greatly welcome!

Thanks!
-Bruce
David

The flyback is a common failure item for many early production series ctc195
and ctc197 chassis. Be forewarned that when the flyback fails on these it
many times will arc a hole right through the glass of the tube underneath
the yoke where you cannot see it. Check the tube out first before wasting
the time and money on the flyback. If you can get the filaments to light up
properly with 6 to 7v dc on them and they do not flame out from air in the
tube, the arc through the glass problem will be eliminated and you can
proceed with the repairs.

David

brewster wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I have a 32" RCA model F32676SB ( chassis CTC197CD) that clicks the
degauss relay about 3-4 times before giving up. At first it would try
a few times and eventually come up, but with HV snapping sounds. I
checked out the FBT and saw signs of leakage so I plan on replacing it
but I'm wondering what else probably should be replaced or at least
checked. I plan on replacing the HOT and reflowing the assorted
transformer connections that seem to be a QC issue with this set. The
Degauss thermistor is also detached from its leads so I'll replace
that as well.
The info I have is the FBT is part #237506 and the HOT is a 2SC5148,
no clue on the thermistor #. Any insite would be greatly welcome!

Thanks!
-Bruce

brewster

"David" wrote in message ...
The flyback is a common failure item for many early production series ctc195
and ctc197 chassis. Be forewarned that when the flyback fails on these it
many times will arc a hole right through the glass of the tube underneath
the yoke where you cannot see it. Check the tube out first before wasting
the time and money on the flyback. If you can get the filaments to light up
properly with 6 to 7v dc on them and they do not flame out from air in the
tube, the arc through the glass problem will be eliminated and you can
proceed with the repairs.

David

Thanks David!
I'm sure that if the tube is cut the set is worthless (cost wise) to repair.

-Bruce