JURB6006

Default Sony KPR46EX20 two symptoms,intermittent at same time

Hi all;

This one is a lack of specifics. I do not have, nor have ever seen the print
for this set. I was flying by the seat of my pants and the set suddenly started
working, thus my need for assistance, if anyone can oblige.

The symptom was the width was short, although the sides were straight and the
vertical was getting into the sound.(I know it's vertical because when I
removed the signal the frequency of the hum lowered) Power supply output
voltages were normal at the time. That's about as far as I got before it "fixed
itself". I would assume one of the power supply voltages were running out of
"sub"-regulation, but if this is anything like the newer ones the H defl. ckt.
would be fed by the -135V line. This voltage was normal during the fault. In
fact I checked everything that was marked and everything was there, + & - 135
were about 138, 15V was like 17, and these did not change when it straightened
out. There was a fairly loud pop from the speakers when it started working and
I thought the set had shutdown, but in the mirror there was a full picture and
clean sound. During the fault, the volume control did not affect the hum. There
was also no evidence of hum in the raster. It was misconverged horizontally,
but linearly and the height was correct.

I need to know more about the architechture of the set, I have two seemingly
unrelated faults that are NOT unrelated. What really gets me is that the sides
were perfectly straight. If the PIN ckt were at fault, it would be bowed. I
need to know if side pin is corrected by the convergence, and if so, if the
width was off that much, and the convergence does correct EW PIN, then it
should've had barrel distortion.

As usual, I post the unusual. Any help is appreciated and TIA.

JURB
Shoreline Electronics

One things for sure....remove the front convergence panel and resolder all
those discrete heatsink mounted transistors.

Also remove the power supply module that is attached to the side and
resolder all.

--
Jeff Stielau

"If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
Fudd's First Law of Opposition - Sir Sidney Fudd