Penny

Default Sony SPP-A941 Trouble

HI, I've had this cordless for two years and it just stopped working (2
months after the warranty expired). When I pick it up it gives four short
beeps. The manual said it could be the base setup wrong, the handset too far
from the base or to replace it so the phone could reset the random security
code. I tried all and nothing worked. I tried a new battery and the same
thing happened. The answering machine and base work fine. When I replace the
handset it says charging but it doesn't show in use when I pick it up.

Can anyone help?? Should I just get a new one?

Thanks

Jerry G.

This can be a problem with the receiver/transmitter section, and or with the
uPC in the handset or base. This would be difficult for you to test and
diagnose the fault without the proper tools to determine where the failure
is. You have to have a way to measure what is going on, or to substitute
the devices involved to make a determination.

The Sony factory service in our area has a flat rate service for these
phones. I found however, that after a few years, it pays more to replace
these phones than have them serviced. Their flat rate service over here is
$70 no matter what the problem is. Most of the time, they replace the
circuit board involved, and then re-dump the matched software back in to the
new board. Most of their models, use a matched handset-base combination.
This is part of their security. This is the reason why on many of their
models, a handset from one phone may not work on another base.

I also tell people to take an extended warranty with these phones,
especially if it is not expensive. Sometimes they fail because of being
dropped too often, or go through some abuse. Usually with the extended
warranty, some of this type of abuse may be overlooked. Infact, I have
several cordless phones myself, and they've failed a number of times.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Penny" wrote in message
.com...
HI, I've had this cordless for two years and it just stopped working (2
months after the warranty expired). When I pick it up it gives four short
beeps. The manual said it could be the base setup wrong, the handset too far
from the base or to replace it so the phone could reset the random security
code. I tried all and nothing worked. I tried a new battery and the same
thing happened. The answering machine and base work fine. When I replace the
handset it says charging but it doesn't show in use when I pick it up.

Can anyone help?? Should I just get a new one?

Thanks

Jim Adney

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 05:41:01 GMT "Penny"
wrote:

HI, I've had this cordless for two years and it just stopped working (2
months after the warranty expired). When I pick it up it gives four short
beeps.

I don't know if this applies to your Sony, but it works on my other
brand.

Sometimes these receive on various frequencies and the handset and
base have to be resynced to the same frequency. They can come out of
sync if the battery goes dead and the handset "forgets" where it's at.

Try removing the power from the base station for 5 minutes and then
plugging it back in. The power up cycle sometimes initiates a fresh
re-syncing which will bring them back together.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA