George Jetson

Default Is it practical - Scap UPS tranformers for stepdown

I have a few old computer UPS around 1000va all with shot batteries, and E
core transformers. I know lots of reasons why they may or may not work as
stepdown transformers. Has any one tried it?

--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Jerry G.

They were designed for a particular applications. Why not replace the
batteries and have some good UPS's? If you purchase the batteries from the
general electronics suppliers under their generic part type numbers, they
are not as expensive as purchasing them from the computer retailers.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"George Jetson" wrote in message
. ..
I have a few old computer UPS around 1000va all with shot batteries, and E
core transformers. I know lots of reasons why they may or may not work as
stepdown transformers. Has any one tried it?

--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Sam Goldwasser

"George Jetson" writes:

I have a few old computer UPS around 1000va all with shot batteries, and E
core transformers. I know lots of reasons why they may or may not work as
stepdown transformers. Has any one tried it?

If the transformer was running at line frequency, then it should work.

Why not try it on a Variac?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Sam Goldwasser

"George Jetson" writes:

I have a few old computer UPS around 1000va all with shot batteries, and E
core transformers. I know lots of reasons why they may or may not work as
stepdown transformers. Has any one tried it?

If the transformer was running at line frequency, then it should work.

Why not try it on a Variac?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Ian Stirling

Jerry G. wrote:
They were designed for a particular applications. Why not replace the
batteries and have some good UPS's? If you purchase the batteries from the
general electronics suppliers under their generic part type numbers, they
are not as expensive as purchasing them from the computer retailers.

And if you go to your local car recycler, with a battery tester, you
can pick em up nearly free.
Probably won't fit in the case, and you may have to watch overheating, but...

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Two fish in a tank: one says to the other, "you know how to drive this thing??"