Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NABER Certification

On Friday, April 21, 1995 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Brian Feeny wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the NABER Certification isand
just how recognized it is. I have a CET (ETA), and FCC GROL license
currently. An associate at work (USAF) told me that the FCC license
is no longer recognized by industry and that employers (motorola, att,
nt, etc) now want you to have the NABER Certification. He claimed the
FCC was more of a operating license then maintence.
The way I understand it, FCC is both operating and maintence of certain
equiptment. I thought employers wanted EITHER the naber or fcc, but
had never heard a firm wanting just the naber.

Any information about the NABER Certification would be appreciated.

The NABER was an attempt to replace the FCC First class Radio-ttelephone license in the last century. The FCC loosly says that it's up to the station's owner to establish the technition's technical competance. The NABER is one way to show that. The amatuer FCC Extra class license has a good start towards the NABER. Now days with circuit board swapping as the norm for many technicians, component level troubleshooting can be a valuable asset to be exploited. Exact repplacements is another area that is required to maintain FCC compliance under type acceptance guidelines. Under part 15, 90, 95 & 97 of CFR 47. Reading these can help with test questions. Brodcasting rules would also help those interested in taking on that chalenge. Find a CFR library near you or buy from library of congress's help.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Wow this is old, from 1995.

There is almost no need for any licenses now for commercial work except
maybe ships and airplanes. Way back then if you had a First Class Phone
license you could just send in a form and get the NABER paper. I had one
way back then, but never got a job that needed it and let it expire after
the second renewal. Just did not want to give them about $ 20 for something
I was not using.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 12:20:49 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, April 21, 1995 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Brian Feeny wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the NABER Certification isand
just how recognized it is. I have a CET (ETA), and FCC GROL license
currently. An associate at work (USAF) told me that the FCC license
is no longer recognized by industry and that employers (motorola, att,
nt, etc) now want you to have the NABER Certification. He claimed the
FCC was more of a operating license then maintence.
The way I understand it, FCC is both operating and maintence of certain
equiptment. I thought employers wanted EITHER the naber or fcc, but
had never heard a firm wanting just the naber.

Any information about the NABER Certification would be appreciated.

The NABER was an attempt to replace the FCC First class Radio-ttelephone
license in the last century.

Wrong. NABER was a frequency coordination organization. In order to
obtain a commercial license, the FCC requires that the licensee makes
an effort to minimize possible interference with co-channel users.
That function was taken over the various industry frequency
coordinators, including NABER. NABER merged with the PCIA in 2002 and
now operates under the PCIA name. The major tower owners are all
members of the PCIA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCIA_-_The_Wireless_Infrastructure_Association
Each industry has its own frequency coordinators. For example, for
industrial and business radio:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing_3&id=industrial_business

The FCC loosly says that it's up to the station's owner to establish
the technition's technical competance.

Wrong. The FCC uses the successful completion of the GROL license
test in order to establish competence. However, frequency
coordination is run by industry groups, not technicians. In theory,
you can do your own frequency coordination, but it's unlikely to be
accepted by the FCC.

The NABER is one way to show that.
The amatuer FCC Extra class license has a good start towards the NABER.

NABOR does not certify a persons technical competence. Rest of the
garbage deleted.

National Asociation of Broadcast Engineers = NABER

Wrong. National Association of Business and Educational Radio.

So, why did you reply to a 1995 posting with a rather large pile of
wrong information and bad guesses? Is this some kind of game designed
to waste everyone's time?

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
[...]

I had to dig out my NABER paper to make sure. This dates back to 1984. At
some point around then NABER issued me a papaer with CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
across the top. This was to act as a replacement for my First Class Phone
license. All was needed to do was fill out a form and send them around $ 20
every 5 years.

One line of it says 'This individual is herby reconized as a NABER Certified
Technichan through a FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION endorsed program."

I am not sure of the time line as I did not go into the radio and TV repair
part of electronics but at some time around or after that it was no longer a
FCC requirement to have a license issued by the FCC or anyone else to work
on the TV and radio stations or most of the 2 way radios.. The individual
stations may require whatever they want.

I know a man that was the head for the local Highway Patrol and he was
telling me that at one time they required either a First or Second class
license but the FCC no longer issued them, going to the GROL. The state
finally got around to changing that requirement after a year or two. They
needed to hire someone, but the state did not reconise the GROL for a while
so they were a man short.

I don't know who or what did the frequency coordination for the broadcast
and other bands other than the ham bands. They may have done that at the
time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 17:52:05 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

There is almost no need for any licenses now for commercial work except
maybe ships and airplanes.

Even though the work can be done without a license, someone with a
license still needs to sign off the paperwork:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_radiotelephone_operator_license
The GROL does not convey the authority to operate an amateur
radio station, for which the FCC has a separate licensing
system, nor is it required for any engineering jobs in radio
and television broadcast. However, some services such as
aviation, marine and international fixed public stations still
require repair and maintenance to be performed by a person
holding a GROL.
There are also a tangle of other licenses that might be needed, such
as for operating a shore station, etc:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=wncol

Way back then if you had a First Class Phone
license you could just send in a form and get the NABER paper.

No such thing as a NABER paper. I think you mean the GROL, which
replaced the FCC First Phone. I screwed up and let my FCC First Phone
expire, and had to take the GROL from scratch.

I had one
way back then, but never got a job that needed it and let it expire after
the second renewal. Just did not want to give them about $ 20 for something
I was not using.

Yeah, but it's good for life. You should have gone for the GROL. If
you change your mind, the running cost is currently $50 for the exam:
http://www.eta-i.org/fcccaapps.pdf

Long ago, I found a problem with having a license. During the 1970's,
I worked for a marine radio manufacturer. At the time, I was the only
person with an FCC First, so the company used my license number to
certify that everything shipped was within specifications. To make it
easy for me, they had made some rubber stamps, which appeared on the
QA test sheet included with every radio. A few years after I left the
company, I discovered that they were still using the same rubber
stamps. Oops.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 19:14:19 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I had to dig out my NABER paper to make sure. This dates back to 1984. At
some point around then NABER issued me a papaer with CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
across the top. This was to act as a replacement for my First Class Phone
license. All was needed to do was fill out a form and send them around $ 20
every 5 years.

One line of it says 'This individual is herby reconized as a NABER Certified
Technichan through a FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION endorsed program."

I must have been asleep at the switch. I was actively designing
radios for various companies at the time, and never ran into that
program. According to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_radiotelephone_operator_license
"In 1982 testing stopped for the First. Shortly afterwards
all renewing First and Second Class licenses, were issued
as GROLs."
So, there was no gap between the First and the GROL where NABER might
issue some kind of interum license. The 5 year term changed to
lifetime in 1985.

I am not sure of the time line as I did not go into the radio and TV repair
part of electronics but at some time around or after that it was no longer a
FCC requirement to have a license issued by the FCC or anyone else to work
on the TV and radio stations or most of the 2 way radios.. The individual
stations may require whatever they want.

That changed around the same time period. I couldn't find exact
dates.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
Way back then if you had a First Class Phone

license you could just send in a form and get the NABER paper.

No such thing as a NABER paper. I think you mean the GROL, which
replaced the FCC First Phone. I screwed up and let my FCC First Phone
expire, and had to take the GROL from scratch.

No I don't mean the GROL. I have the paper from NABER on my desk right now.
Also there is a credit card size paper that goes with it so you can carry it
around with you as proff .
Some places would require some of the FCC licenses or the NABER one, not
that the FCC required it, but as some sort of proff that you had an idea of
what RF was.

I got the First Phone when I was about 22.. Never did get into anythng I
needed it for as I went to industrial electronics instead of anything
involving RF as it paid more at the time and had a good retirement.

Here is the NABAER paper

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7w...ew?usp=sharing

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 20:12:06 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks. I thought it was in place of the license. It looks more like
is a certification that is in addition to the license (or maybe
instead of the license). At the time, many companies were busy giving
tests and issuing diplomas, certificates, cards, plaques, stamps, etc
attesting to a person having passed a proficiency exam. In most
cases, the certificate holder was required to renew the certification
every 5 years, ostensibly because the products and the technology had
changed. More accurately, it was a revenue source for the company,
but I'll pretend not to notice. Holding an applicable certification
also became a job requirement for many computah jobs. I knew people
that collected certifications because their employers encouraged the
practice. However, the NABER certification was in 1984, well before
such certifications became common in the computer industry. As I
mentioned, I must have been asleep, and didn't even notice such things
until maybe 1993. Then, I didn't bother getting certified for
anything.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Part P certification Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 6 October 15th 09 06:03 PM
what does it take to get nhbc certification? Daryl Bradley UK diy 3 February 5th 07 11:03 AM
RSJ Certification? Jonathan UK diy 8 May 1st 05 11:55 AM
3M Film Certification LunarCool Home Repair 1 April 7th 05 03:58 AM
NABER Certification jmeany Electronics Repair 5 January 3rd 05 02:25 AM