James Sweet

Default Channel logos and screen burn

So this is a little off topic but after getting my newly acquired PTV up and
running I noticed there's a faint logo burned into the upper right corner of
the screen. I haven't watched TV much in a long time but flipping through
channels I was shocked at how many of them display a static logo, this must
cause a lot of damage with all the CRT projectors and plasma displays out
there now. Is there any movement to get the FCC or other relevant
organization to regulate this ridiculousness? Even if they'd move the logos
around periodically it would be sufficient. Is there anything an ordinary
person can do to avoid this? I'm worried that someone will leave this thing
on a channel with a logo and burn it in further.

Leonard Caillouet

There is a lot of bitching about the problems on alt.tv.tech.hdtv, AVS Forum
, and similar forums where videophiles lurk, but no movement that is
organized in any effective way that I can find. The problem is that any
attempt to regulate it runs right into the 1st Amendment. Also, most people
who realize the potential for burn in also know that it is rarely a problem
unless one is running the contrast as high as the manufacturers set it at
the factory and one leaves the same channel on for many hours. Anyone
trying to get the best performance out of a set will be turning the contrast
way down anyway, unless they use it in direct sunlight.

Just vary the viewing and don't run it in "torch mode" and there will likely
be no problem with burn in. Other problems are caused by leaving OSD
onscreen constantly.

Leonard Caillouet

"James Sweet" wrote in message
[...]

u1061771156

In article imubb.403239$cF.125536@rwcrnsc53, James Sweet wrote:
So this is a little off topic but after getting my newly acquired PTV up and
running I noticed there's a faint logo burned into the upper right corner of
the screen. I haven't watched TV much in a long time but flipping through
channels I was shocked at how many of them display a static logo, this must
cause a lot of damage with all the CRT projectors and plasma displays out
there now. Is there any movement to get the FCC or other relevant
organization to regulate this ridiculousness? Even if they'd move the logos
around periodically it would be sufficient. Is there anything an ordinary
person can do to avoid this? I'm worried that someone will leave this thing
on a channel with a logo and burn it in further.

There's a lot of debate on this issue here in Europe. Some broadcasters
(eg Five) have been successfully persuaded to lose the logos.
http://logofreetv.org
I doubt there's much chance on your side of the pond, though.

Mike.
P.S. Due to swen virus, email address is not valid. Hopefully it will
direct some of the mail blizzard towards the root cause... ;-)

Jerry G.

You must be driving the contrast control up at "spotlight" level. The
station logo is supposed to only be at about 7% to 10% level. At normal
contrast levels, this should not be a problem. Our sets are on many hours
of the day and evenings, and there are no burns from these. All the
stations out here have this.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
[...]

Sharon Leigh

My parents got a projection TV and within months, the FOX News logo was
burned into their screen. They keep the set on several hours a day, but I
was under the impression that it would take years for screen burn-in to
occur on modern TVs, not months. what gives?

[...]

Sam Goldwasser

Turn the brightness down.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

"Sharon Leigh" writes:

[...]

Sam Goldwasser