Mark D. Zacharias

Default Pioneer SX 1250

I think I'd look for power supply problems, especially bad solder
connections and bad small capacitors in the regulated power supply area. The
bias can be adjusted later, assuming it doesn't get really hot. I don't
really think it's related to the shutting down problem.

Mark Z.

"Ross Mac" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I have a Pioneer SX 1250 Reciever that is giving me problems. It shuts

down
after about 30 minutes and the right heatsink seems warmer than the left.

have the service manual and have run a few tests but thought I might ask
around before I spend the next couple of days fighting this

one......thanks
for any help....Ross

R. Stallsworth

Try the obvious first. What condition is the heat sink compound in? If it's
dried out... replace the grease. Also... make sure the transistors are tight
to the heat sink. Maybe... swap L for R speakers and see if the problem goes
to the other side. Good luck...

Ross Mac wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have a Pioneer SX 1250 Reciever that is giving me problems. It shuts down
after about 30 minutes and the right heatsink seems warmer than the left. I
have the service manual and have run a few tests but thought I might ask
around before I spend the next couple of days fighting this one......thanks
for any help....Ross

Mark D. Zacharias

There's lots more than just the 65 volts. Probably + and - 65, 45, 13, etc.

Mark Z.

"Ross Mac" wrote in message
I did check the supply and it is a good clean 65Volts. All the connections
also look great. Especially for a 25 year old amp. I will look some more
today...thanks...Ross

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't know - Pioneers are NOTORIOUS for regulated power supply

problems.
The timing of his failure also suggests this to me.

Mark Z.

Subject: Pioneer SX 1250
From: "Ross Mac"
Date: 9/15/03 8:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Hi Folks,

I have a Pioneer SX 1250 Reciever that is giving me problems. It

shuts
down
after about 30 minutes and the right heatsink seems warmer than the

left.
have the service manual and have run a few tests but thought I might

ask
around before I spend the next couple of days fighting this

one......thanks
for any help....Ross

If it plays normally otherwise, I'd bet it's a bias problem. The

carbon
trimmers they use to set bias are pure garbage, and they'll drift just

looking
at them. There might be two adjustments per channel on this model.

Flush
them
out with a quality cleaner, and see if they set up normally. If so,

replace
the pure garbage pots with mere crappy ones (one grade up and re

adjust
the
bias.

John Del
Wolcott, CT

"Nothing is so opportune for tyrants as a people tired of its

liberty."
Alan Keyes

(remove S for email reply)