Watrson A.Name

Default Cornfusiion - C1815GR PH transistor

The TO-92 transistor package is marked

C1815GR
PH 3 9

From my past experience I surmise that it's a 2SC1815 from Philips,
right? Also, I surmise that this is a Japanese transistor number.

Anyway I google for 2SC1815 and of course nothing having to do with
data sheets comes up, just thousands of companies wanting to sell
them.

Somehow I get the idea that the 2SC1815 is made by Toshiba so I go to
their website and go thru menues and click on 'view details' but
nothing happens. I look at the bottom of the screen and it says
something about javascript so I figured that Mozilla wasn't going to
run that, so I changed to IE 6 and it ran, and I could view and save
their data sheet for 2SC1815, in Adobe Acrobat Reader .PDF.

But I'm pretty sure this is a Philips transistor so I go to their
website and search for 2SC1815 and it says "No search results could be
found using the given input."

So I go all sorts of these product selection menues, and finally come
to a couple hundred transistors. All I can find is 2PC1815 so I click
on that but nothing happened. So I go back to the screen with a
search fill-in and I search for 2PC1815 and _finally_ I get a data
sheet for the transistor. I compared the specs with those from the
Toshiba data sheet, and the 2PC1815 is Philips' version of the
2SC1815. But Philips' data sheet gives no graphs, just text
information.

So I go back to the Toshiba data sheet and find from their graphs that
the Ft of 80 MHz isn't typical, it's a minimum, and the actual typical
Ft is more like 200 to 300 MHz at typical I and V. Which was really
what I wanted to know all along.

I feel like I could pull a rabbit out of a hat after all that zigging
and zagging.

Philips motto is "Let's Make things better." Yeah, right. More like
substitute worse for better.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@
Jerry G.

All these series of devices, and many more types are Japanese numbers.
Other companies buy them up for productions, and have the manufactures
screen their names on them (the name of the buyer), to say what they
want. In many instances they also change the numbers to their own house
numbers, if they want the exclusive spare parts sales. This way the
servicer cannot have any spec listing, because the part is a house
number.

With popular type numbers, you may find many manufactures having the
same part number type listed. But, maybe only one or two manufactures
originally made the part.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
"Watrson A.Name" wrote in message
m...
The TO-92 transistor package is marked

C1815GR
PH 3 9

From my past experience I surmise that it's a 2SC1815 from Philips,
[...]

Lizard Blizzard

Jerry G. wrote:
All these series of devices, and many more types are Japanese numbers.
Other companies buy them up for productions, and have the manufactures
screen their names on them (the name of the buyer), to say what they
want. In many instances they also change the numbers to their own house
numbers, if they want the exclusive spare parts sales. This way the
servicer cannot have any spec listing, because the part is a house
number.

With popular type numbers, you may find many manufactures having the
same part number type listed. But, maybe only one or two manufactures
originally made the part.

Some companies buy the bare chips and package them in their own
packages. Some chips are made in fab plants in one country such as the
U.S. and the chips are shipped to an assembly 'maquiladora' plant in
another country, sometimes halfway around the world, or perhaps Mexico.
So it's hard to say what mfgr or what company made what.

And then we get into what chip is used. In National and TI transistors,
(yeah, they're not doing those anymore) the manual tells what chip is
used for what transistor. Some chips are used for many transistors, the
diff between them sometimes being only the testing and selection process.

Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 02:20:01 -0700, the renowned Watrson A.Name
wrote:

The TO-92 transistor package is marked

C1815GR
PH 3 9

?
From my past experience I surmise that it's a 2SC1815 from Philips,
right? Also, I surmise that this is a Japanese transistor number.

long story snipped

Watch that the "GR" is the high-beta bin selection of this very
popular (in Asia, anyway) part.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Stepan Novotill

Default Cornfusiion - C1815GR PH transistor - 2SC1815.pdf (0/1)

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:02:28 GMT, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

2SC1815 datasheet (in attachment)

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun

In article ,
mentioned...
wrote:

The TO-92 transistor package is marked

C1815GR
PH 3 9

?
From my past experience I surmise that it's a 2SC1815 from Philips,
right? Also, I surmise that this is a Japanese transistor number.

long story snipped

Watch that the "GR" is the high-beta bin selection of this very
popular (in Asia, anyway) part.

Actually, according to the Philips data sheet the GR is the middle or
200 to 400 range of the 3 beta selections.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 20:22:54 -0700, the renowned Watson A.Name - "Watt
Sun" wrote:

In article ,
mentioned...
wrote:

The TO-92 transistor package is marked

C1815GR
PH 3 9

?
From my past experience I surmise that it's a 2SC1815 from Philips,
right? Also, I surmise that this is a Japanese transistor number.

long story snipped

Watch that the "GR" is the high-beta bin selection of this very
popular (in Asia, anyway) part.

Actually, according to the Philips data sheet the GR is the middle or
200 to 400 range of the 3 beta selections.

Yes, there's a higher one on the data sheets, but "Y" is the most
common one seen in practice, IME.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun

In article ,
mentioned...
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 20:22:54 -0700, the renowned Watson A.Name - "Watt
Sun" wrote:

In article ,
mentioned...
wrote:

The TO-92 transistor package is marked

C1815GR
PH 3 9
?
From my past experience I surmise that it's a 2SC1815 from Philips,
right? Also, I surmise that this is a Japanese transistor number.

long story snipped

Watch that the "GR" is the high-beta bin selection of this very
popular (in Asia, anyway) part.

Actually, according to the Philips data sheet the GR is the middle or
200 to 400 range of the 3 beta selections.

Yes, there's a higher one on the data sheets, but "Y" is the most
common one seen in practice, IME.

I checked Toshiba's data sheet and oddly, their gains are different
than Philips'; they have 4 ranges instead of 3:

Note: hFE classification:
O: 70~140, Y: 120~240, GR: 200~400, BL: 350~700

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:53:45 -0700, the renowned Watson A.Name - "Watt
Sun" wrote:

I checked Toshiba's data sheet and oddly, their gains are different
than Philips'; they have 4 ranges instead of 3:

This part was originated by Toshiba, if I'm reading the Kanji in my
Japanese transistor book correctly.

Note: hFE classification:
O: 70~140, Y: 120~240, GR: 200~400, BL: 350~700

They don't have the low beta part "O" at all and add a "no suffix" bin
that can be any of Y, GR, BL. ;-)

Suffix Beta (Toshiba) Beta (Philips)
none N/A 120~700
O 70~140 N/A
Y 120~240 120~240
GR 200~400 200~400
BL 350~700 350~700

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun

In article ,
mentioned...
Sun" wrote:

I checked Toshiba's data sheet and oddly, their gains are different
than Philips'; they have 4 ranges instead of 3:

This part was originated by Toshiba, if I'm reading the Kanji in my
Japanese transistor book correctly.

I could've used you this last weekend. The consignment table at the
monthly computer club had some HomePNA boxes for $5 apiece, so I
opened one up to see what was inside. The instruction manual was all
in Japanese so I hesitated to buy them, even tho they were about as
simple to use as could be. The things basically plugged into a wall
wart and into the cat5 patch cord to the PC and the phone line passed
thru from the wall to the phone. The data cable was 10MB but the
phone wiring was only 1 MB. I was just trying to make sense out of
the specifications in the back, but I couldn't figure out what the
maximum phone line distance was. But then now that I think about it,
that's kind of pointless because the usual household phone line
topology looks like a spider web! ;-)

Anyway, a few minutes later while I was looking at some other items,
another sucker bought them. Heh-heh.

Note: hFE classification:
O: 70~140, Y: 120~240, GR: 200~400, BL: 350~700

They don't have the low beta part "O" at all and add a "no suffix" bin
that can be any of Y, GR, BL. ;-)

Suffix Beta (Toshiba) Beta (Philips)
none N/A 120~700
O 70~140 N/A
Y 120~240 120~240
GR 200~400 200~400
BL 350~700 350~700

And for some reason Philips likes to put theirs in a TO-92 case that's
..025" or .7 mm taller than the usual TO-92 case. Weird.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks. If you want to see a lot (man, this guy is prodigious!) of
projects using (mostly) 2SC1815s, go to JF10ZL's website
http://www.intio.or.jp/jf10zl/

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:53:45 -0700, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I notice you corrected the error in your name, but have a look at your
"organization".

- Franc Zabkar
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun

In article ,
mentioned...
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:53:45 -0700, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I notice you corrected the error in your name, but have a look at your
"organization".

I can't see it - the font's too small. I hate that. :-P
Oh, yeah, now I see it. Thanks.

I should add a randomizer to the posts. Keep everyone on their toes.

- Franc Zabkar

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Al Savage

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:05:09 UTC, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun"
wrote:

I should add a randomizer to the posts. Keep everyone on their toes.

Hey, I'm already _beyond_ "on my toes", I'm hopping from foot to foot --
this frying pan's HOT

--
Regards,
Al S.