Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Will this damage anything?

I have a flat screen LCD computer monitor which needs a transformer for
power. I dont have this transformer. I can get one on ebay for around
$15, but before I spend the money, I want to make sure the monitor
works. It needs 24 volts at 1.2 Amps DC. I have one from an old Laptop
computer that has an output of 16 volts 3.6 Amps DC. The amperage is
fine, but the voltage is 8 volts low. The power plug (to monitor) is
the same as needed.

I just want to be sure the monitor powers up and operate it for a
minute. Is there any chance of damaging the monitor or transformer of I
connect it to the monitor? Or will it even power it up?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 1:49:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a flat screen LCD computer monitor which needs a transformer for
power. I dont have this transformer. I can get one on ebay for around
$15, but before I spend the money, I want to make sure the monitor
works. It needs 24 volts at 1.2 Amps DC. I have one from an old Laptop
computer that has an output of 16 volts 3.6 Amps DC. The amperage is
fine, but the voltage is 8 volts low. The power plug (to monitor) is
the same as needed.

I just want to be sure the monitor powers up and operate it for a
minute. Is there any chance of damaging the monitor or transformer of I
connect it to the monitor? Or will it even power it up?

If the polarity is correct, it definitely won't harm the "transformer", and I don't see how the monitor would be damaged either. I've repaired thousands of monitors with bad caps, and the resulting low voltage *and* ripple never bothered the monitors. I don't know if your monitor will start 8 volts low, and my guess is that it won't, but try it anyway.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I have a flat screen LCD computer monitor which needs a transformer for
power. I dont have this transformer. I can get one on ebay for around
$15, but before I spend the money, I want to make sure the monitor
works. It needs 24 volts at 1.2 Amps DC. I have one from an old Laptop
computer that has an output of 16 volts 3.6 Amps DC. The amperage is
fine, but the voltage is 8 volts low. The power plug (to monitor) is
the same as needed.

I just want to be sure the monitor powers up and operate it for a
minute. Is there any chance of damaging the monitor or transformer of I
connect it to the monitor? Or will it even power it up?

It won't hirt anything,but the monitor may not start either. YOu can use
several D size batteries or even smaller rechargabel batteries in series
with the power supply to make up the voltage. They will not last long, so
make this a quick test.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 26/02/2015 19:09, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I like it. Perhaps add a fuse as well, while at it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, wrote:

I have a flat screen LCD computer monitor which needs a transformer for
power. I dont have this transformer. I can get one on ebay for around
$15, but before I spend the money, I want to make sure the monitor
works. It needs 24 volts at 1.2 Amps DC. I have one from an old Laptop
computer that has an output of 16 volts 3.6 Amps DC. The amperage is
fine, but the voltage is 8 volts low. The power plug (to monitor) is
the same as needed.

I just want to be sure the monitor powers up and operate it for a
minute. Is there any chance of damaging the monitor or transformer of I
connect it to the monitor? Or will it even power it up?

It probably needs the 24volts. There's no reason to specify a high
voltage if it's not needed.

There is no expectation that the voltage might come from a variety of
sources, in this case the power supply is external either because it was
easier to get UL approval with the external supply, or perhaps because the
supply might fail and it's easier to change the power supply if it's
external. So they picked the needed voltage in the first place.

Keep looking. Ever since the move to switching supplies rather than 60Hz
transformer based power supplies, the world is alive with no longer needed
external power supplies, and they all have good current rating, and offer
a wide selection of voltages. If the first one you find isn't the right
voltage, keep looking, chances are good you'll find one in the garbage or
at a friend's place, they no longer needing it. I'm sure I've pulled
24vdc supplies out of tossed out inkjet printers (they tend to need a
higher voltage) so that's another place to look.

The big issue is to make sure you wire it properly so the polarity is
right for the monitor.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Black" wrote in message There is no expectation
that the voltage might come from a variety of

sources, in this case the power supply is external either because it was
easier to get UL approval with the external supply, or perhaps because the
supply might fail and it's easier to change the power supply if it's
external. So they picked the needed voltage in the first place.

Often the same electronic equipment is used in several countries. They all
have differnant kinds of power and plugs. It is easy to use a differant
external supply instead of building differant ones into the equipment.