Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default I found a great deal for solderwick on Ebay

100 five foot rolls of Hexacon Hex-Wick W75-5 solder Wick for $30 plus
shipping. I bought one lot, and it came to $36 total. He has four lots
left, out of 11. That should be enough for the rest of my life.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301302710858

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That stuff does have a finite shelf life so keep it bottled as best you can.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 06:17:56 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

That stuff does have a finite shelf life so keep it bottled as best you
can.

I use it with the NASA approved wet wicking method, so it never goes
bad.

Is that explained on wicky-pedia?

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I use it with the NASA approved wet wicking method, so it never goes
bad. "

I Googld that and got this :

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~phylab...s/Soldered.pdf

Of ocurse for people to do it by the book there ust be a book so this makes sense. But DE-soldering ? they had to wirte a book on that ? I'd like to see it. Google failed me.

When I was a teenager they were trying to recruit me. I took a pre-ASVAB (sp I think...) and they told me I could tsst into an E something because of electronic abilities. I didn't, but one day I am riding with one of the recruiters for some reason and I get into the car I see a sign on the glovebox, dashboard whatever says "THIS VEHICLE SHALL NOT bE PLACED INTO MOTION UNESS ALL OCCUPANTS ARE WEARINGG SEAT BELTS". I asked the guy "What's that mean it won't satart or it won't go into gesr ?". Hw said "No, that's just they way they talk".

So concirvable in about 1977 I could have joined up, and then soon be court martialed for not wearing a seat belt. OK.

You know, thinking back, in 1977 or thereabouts, they were about geting out of Nam and all. If I joined I probably would have not had to worry about agent orange and ****. Maybe go to Germany or something.

As much as I thoroughly detest how this country's military is misused for the profiteers, it does help some people achieve a self discipline which is desirable. Would be better without the brainwashing but what would kids get on the street ? Oh, what I got. I got an education in all kinds of **** like recreational drugs, ganging around and all that goes with that.

I'm not making excuses for not being a little closer to perfect, I am so far it is ridiculous, and I think I am bettert han many but I can see I oculd have been better. And that might have been what would do it for me. Hell givem four years and if nothing else work for the post office.

Hear the one about the vet at the post office looking for a job ? Interviewer asks "You were in the military ?" guy says "Yes". He asks "Were you injured ?" guy says "Yes". "What happened ?". Apppicant says "Well there was an explosion and it blew my balls off". "You're hired, we start at nine in the morning, see you at ten". The new employees says "You just said we start at nine, why do I come in at ten ?".

"Well, for the first hour we stand around and scratch our balls, you can skip that".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"I use it with the NASA approved wet wicking method, so it never goes

bad. "

I Googld that and got this :

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~phylab...s/Soldered.pdf

Of ocurse for people to do it by the book there ust be a book so this makes sense. But DE-soldering ? they had to wirte a book on that ? I'd like to see it. Google failed me.

You dip the end of the copper braid, into RMA liquid rosin flux just
enough to wet it. You can use either copper braid with or without dry
flux. Then you use it like you would the dry wick. The advantage is that
it works faster and with less heat transfer to the board. The other part
of the process is that when you trim away the used wick, you leave a
spot with solder that is about half the length of the braid's width.
This gives you a smaller spot to start the heat transfer, which also
reduces the time needed to do the job. Together, they greatly reduce
the damage to a PC board.

I've seen too many people use a spot every inch or so, then complain
that the wick has gone bad. The more you flex it, the more dry flux
turns to dust and is lost.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

That stuff does have a finite shelf life so keep it bottled as best
you can.

I use it with the NASA approved wet wicking method, so it never
goes
bad.

Is that explained on wicky-pedia?

Do you really need an explanation?

Did you really need a smiley?

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" You dip the end of the copper br... ..."

Thanks. that clears up a little bit. the problem with wick drying out is that it is the flux or whatever they putin it drying out. the only other problem is when the braid is not fine enough, and really you don't need it angel hair fine.

The old guys used to tell me you don't need wick, just take the cord off a TV and strip it, twist it up a bit and dip it in some flux. they said it worked fine, but i never did it. Well I did try it couple of times but did not get it right. So Chemtronics took car eof me, for a price of course. I have never seen anything work bettert han Chemwick, but then I never did the flux dip thing.

Thing is, how much do you need. you saisd something like this might last you the rest of your life. Could. you are not using it to change flyback transformers. Alot of times on SMDs you only us a little eentsy piece, and more of it is damaged (defluxed) by the heat than youo actually used for the repair. And this is worse wiht the cheaop brands. Itt is also worse with Chemwick it it is felt out and all the whatever evaporates out of it. Just like you dry without havbing the stuff boil off of you, so does it.

BTW, I have a technique with it that I do not use the end. I curve it around the iron tip but oinly halfway through its width. this allows me to really smash it into a cvonnection. the wick is like almost 180 degrees around the tip, I put the connection to be desoldered INSIDE of that. I have found it to be very effective as well as kind to the circuit board.

Last job (yeah I am working again) not this one, boss ays I use more wivch than any other tech there. I sadi "Yeah, I seen their work". I had to follow one of them on a job and I saw out of like an 80 pin IC, like over ten pads were lifted.

Go ahead asshole and don't get me the righht wick, or make me use it "your way" and then you cna pay me twenty bucks an hour to fix the ****ing cuircuit board that would not have been ****ed up i=f I had what I need.

And no, the last couple places did not have a vat of flux.

Most companies do not want to buy ****. I had to threaten to burn the fuicing place down a coule of jobs ago to get them to buy an isolation transformer. i was making goo dmoney but that place was btuilt on a slab. I had to tell them that if I got shocked I was going to NOT file a workman's comp claim but instead get a Jewish lawyer and sue them because the shock caused a psychological condition that would permanently prevent me from working in my field.

It was there in two days.

Talk about hack techs out there, damn let's talk about the hack bosses who should be flipping ****ing burgers.

they are out there.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

" You dip the end of the copper br... ..."

Thanks. that clears up a little bit. the problem with wick drying out is that it is the flux or whatever they putin it drying out. the only other problem is when the braid is not fine enough, and really you don't need it angel hair fine.

The old guys used to tell me you don't need wick, just take the cord off a TV and strip it, twist it up a bit and dip it in some flux. they said it worked fine, but i never did it. Well I did try it couple of times but did not get it right. So Chemtronics took car eof me, for a price of course. I have never seen anything work bettert han Chemwick, but then I never did the flux dip thing.

Thing is, how much do you need. you saisd something like this might last you the rest of your life. Could. you are not using it to change flyback transformers.

I use a vacuum desoldering iron of transformers.

Alot of times on SMDs you only us a little eentsy piece, and more of it is damaged (defluxed) by the heat than youo actually used for the repair. And this is worse wiht the cheaop brands. Itt is also worse with Chemwick it it is felt out and all the whatever evaporates out of it. Just like you dry without havbing the stuff boil off of you, so does it.

You don't have that problem, when used properly. I only pull out
about an inch from the spool. Even without liquid flux, it isn't flexed
enough to make it useless.

BTW, I have a technique with it that I do not use the end. I curve it around the iron tip but oinly halfway through its width. this allows me to really smash it into a cvonnection. the wick is like almost 180 degrees around the tip, I put the connection to be desoldered INSIDE of that. I have found it to be very effective as well as kind to the circuit board.

Most of my work is RF and digital SMD. Your method would destroy the
boards and the parts.

Last job (yeah I am working again) not this one, boss ays I use more wivch than any other tech there. I sadi "Yeah, I seen their work". I had to follow one of them on a job and I saw out of like an 80 pin IC, like over ten pads were lifted.

I rarely lifted any pads. Maybe one a month and that was usually when
some dumbass walked up to the workstation and hit it because I was
ignoring them until I finished.

Go ahead asshole and don't get me the righht wick, or make me use it "your way" and then you can pay me twenty bucks an hour to fix the ****ing cuircuit board that would not have been ****ed up i=f I had what I need.

And no, the last couple places did not have a vat of flux.

Vat? I bought a quart bottle of it almost 30 years ago for $7.50. It
was Kester 1544. I kept under an ounce in a squeeze bottle with a need
form a syringe, nd I had a tiny cup about the size of the cap on a
plunger on a syringe to di the braid into.

Most companies do not want to buy ****. I had to threaten to burn the fuicing place down a coule of jobs ago to get them to buy an isolation transformer. i was making goo dmoney but that place was btuilt on a slab. I had to tell them that if I got shocked I was going to NOT file a workman's comp claim but instead get a Jewish lawyer and sue them because the shock caused a psychological condition that would permanently prevent me from working in my field.

Forget that. I would have called OSHA and had them put out of
business after they refused. My shop has concrete floors, but there are
3/4" rubber mats to stand on, and the steel workbenches are on casters.

It was there in two days.

Talk about hack techs out there, damn let's talk about the hack bosses who should be flipping ****ing burgers.

They aren't even qualified to do that, unless they are flipping them
into the dumpster.

they are out there.

So is the truth, if you have the time and the skills to find it.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.