Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Commander Dave

Default Need advice on Electronics Distance Learning

Greetings all,

Having been laid off from my job, I was thinking that it was time for a
change and want to take a "distance learning" program in electronics. Not
having any idea where to begin, I thought I would ask for the group's
advice.

Situation:

I am 39 years old and have worked in IT for many years and last held a
Network Administrator position. They closed my last place of employment and
it seems that the job market is pretty tight around here for the this type
of work. I also do not have any formal degree, just lots of experience. I am
currently playing Mr. Mom to my 20 month old boy and 4 month old girl, which
keeps me running... :-) Traditional learning (i.e. live classes) is pretty
much out of the question.

My hobby is coin-op video games, collecting, repair and general tinkering. I
can fix many games and monitors, but my skills are self taught and mainly
rely on the shotgun approach. I enjoy working with electronics, and would
like to open a small business repairing various types of electronics
equipment. Not sure exactly what, but I do know that it would probably be
older electronics rather than "state of the art" type stuff. Perhaps vintage
computer/video game restorations? I think the key word here would be
"vintage", but I am not totally locked into that category.

What I would like to find:

A distance learning program that is EFFECTIVE in teaching electronics skills
mainly for the purpose of troubleshooting and repair, but doesn't have to be
limited to just that.

An Electrical Engineering degree program would be nice too, but a degree is
far from being required. I need practical teaching. Classes on video tape
would be nice, not just book learning. The main idea is that I get my
money's worth.

I did find one online, but never heard of it before... here is the link:
http://pcdi-homestudy.com/courses/el/outline.html
The course material sounds ok, but it is all dry learning - no live class
video.

Anyone out there have any good information on a electronics distance
learning program? Any good advice? Gotcha's?

Thanks everyone,
-Commander Dave