Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci,electronics.basics,alt.energy.homepower

Default Back to the the EXPLAIN PUMP SWITCH operation

I had a previous thread, but ignore it as I have the details correct
this time.

To start the motor did spin when powered.

I helped my neighbor disassemble a pump motor, we needed to hold the
rotor in order to remove the broken impeller, so we pulled the stator
off to get access to the rotor. We had to remove the centrifugal lever
assembly from the shaft in order to remove the stator. We remover the
broken impeller and reassembled the motor. Reinstalled the centrifugal
lever assembly and the switch the it operates.

Now at power up the motor just hums.
The rotor spins freely.

We didn't unhook any wires, just pulled the stator off to get access to
the rotor. I marked the end plate and stator and put it back together
the same way.

Any ideas, why the motor hums.

I want to understand the operation of the motor.

First I'm aware of motors with a start winding, it is energized until
the motor spins fast enough to move the centrifugal lever assembly which
open the switch to de-energize the start winding.

On this motor the centrifugal lever assembly CLOSES a switch when it
gets up to speed. Opposite of what I thought would happen. The motor has
a start capacitor and another part I'm I not aware what it is.
Here is a picture of the same type motor. In the picture the wrench
is causing the centrifugal lever to swing and open the switch, it can't
be seen well in the picture.
Also the black part with three wires, white, yellow, and blue, what is
it's function.
http://s395.photobucket.com/user/Qma...426fb.jpg.html

Thanks for your help,
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci,electronics.basics,alt.energy.homepower

On 7/24/2014 12:10 PM, amdx wrote:
[...]

I think I have found the problem, not sure what I need to do to fix it,
but it will become clear.
This website,
http://wetheadmedia.com/hayward-supe...bout-a-second/

indicates the switch is held CLOSED by the centrifugal lever, and opens
when rotated fast enough.
I have it assembled so the switch is OPEN and CLOSES when at speed.
So either I reassembled the lever wrong or reinstalled it wrong, but
I think I have a handle on it now.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci,electronics.basics,alt.energy.homepower

amdx prodded the keyboard

[...]

The centrifugal switch always breaks the starting circuit when the
motor is almost upto speed and the other device looks like an
overheat/thermal switch. It should disconnect the power when it gets
hot enough to trip. Sometimes they self reset others have to be
reset manually.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/24/2014 1:43 PM, Baron wrote:
amdx prodded the keyboard

[...]

Ok, got it working.
To remove the centrifugal lever assembly from the shaft, it needs to be
disassembled, because you can't reach the screw to turn it.
When I reassembled it, I put the weight on backwards.
Oh well, it's working now.
I'm sure glad, I ordered a $54 dollar impeller for my neighbor, and then
I couldn't get the motor to work again.
I was the one that convinced him to tear it apart and see what was
wrong, instead of buying a new pump.
The problem was the impeller was broken from the shaft.

Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx prodded the keyboard

[...]

Hi Mikek,
Its all part of the learning curve. :-)
Glad you got it sorted.
Broken impellers are fairly common ! It only takes a tiny piece of
grit to get caught between the blade and case.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

How do I get my soil-filled pool back into operation? [email protected] Home Repair 15 May 1st 21 07:16 PM
Explain pump motor start switch amdx[_3_] Electronics Repair 6 July 18th 14 03:14 AM
Heat Pump Operation Elle Home Repair 15 December 29th 07 02:58 AM
Sump pump float switch: separate from pump? Marc_G Home Repair 4 January 15th 06 09:46 PM
Help with well pump problem ... the pump or the pressure switch? Me2 Home Ownership 1 June 28th 04 03:26 AM