Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci,electronics.basics,alt.energy.homepower
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Back to the the EXPLAIN PUMP SWITCH operation

On 7/24/2014 12:10 PM, amdx wrote:
I had a previous thread, but ignore it as I have the details correct
this time.

To start the motor did spin when powered.

I helped my neighbor disassemble a pump motor, we needed to hold the
rotor in order to remove the broken impeller, so we pulled the stator
off to get access to the rotor. We had to remove the centrifugal lever
assembly from the shaft in order to remove the stator. We remover the
broken impeller and reassembled the motor. Reinstalled the centrifugal
lever assembly and the switch the it operates.

Now at power up the motor just hums.
The rotor spins freely.

We didn't unhook any wires, just pulled the stator off to get access to
the rotor. I marked the end plate and stator and put it back together
the same way.

Any ideas, why the motor hums.

I want to understand the operation of the motor.

First I'm aware of motors with a start winding, it is energized until
the motor spins fast enough to move the centrifugal lever assembly which
open the switch to de-energize the start winding.

On this motor the centrifugal lever assembly CLOSES a switch when it
gets up to speed. Opposite of what I thought would happen. The motor has
a start capacitor and another part I'm I not aware what it is.
Here is a picture of the same type motor. In the picture the wrench
is causing the centrifugal lever to swing and open the switch, it can't
be seen well in the picture.
Also the black part with three wires, white, yellow, and blue, what is
it's function.
http://s395.photobucket.com/user/Qma...426fb.jpg.html

Thanks for your help,
Mikek

I think I have found the problem, not sure what I need to do to fix it,
but it will become clear.
This website,
http://wetheadmedia.com/hayward-supe...bout-a-second/

indicates the switch is held CLOSED by the centrifugal lever, and opens
when rotated fast enough.
I have it assembled so the switch is OPEN and CLOSES when at speed.
So either I reassembled the lever wrong or reinstalled it wrong, but
I think I have a handle on it now.
Mikek