Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to determine the frame rate of a pc?

Feeding to an external monitor with 1600x1200, the image is locked but
feeding a colour bar test signal in, its as though the colour saturation
is just one bit.
Left side white to mid of the RGB colour bands are saturated full on RGB
colour and to the right of centre all are black.
Setting the pc to 1280x1024 and 1024x768 the image is fine. External
monitor is capable of 1600x1200 , 60Hz , 60Hz only .
Win7 and XP machines seem to only show the resolution in display
properties as 1600x1200 , not the frame rate, how to check if its 60 or
something else
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:01:32 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Feeding to an external monitor with 1600x1200, the image is locked but
feeding a colour bar test signal in, its as though the colour saturation
is just one bit.
Left side white to mid of the RGB colour bands are saturated full on RGB
colour and to the right of centre all are black.
Setting the pc to 1280x1024 and 1024x768 the image is fine. External
monitor is capable of 1600x1200 , 60Hz , 60Hz only .
Win7 and XP machines seem to only show the resolution in display
properties as 1600x1200 , not the frame rate, how to check if its 60 or
something else

Go to "advanced settings" on the page that lists the resolutions.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17/07/2014 13:29, Pat wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:01:32 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Feeding to an external monitor with 1600x1200, the image is locked but
feeding a colour bar test signal in, its as though the colour saturation
is just one bit.
Left side white to mid of the RGB colour bands are saturated full on RGB
colour and to the right of centre all are black.
Setting the pc to 1280x1024 and 1024x768 the image is fine. External
monitor is capable of 1600x1200 , 60Hz , 60Hz only .
Win7 and XP machines seem to only show the resolution in display
properties as 1600x1200 , not the frame rate, how to check if its 60 or
something else

Go to "advanced settings" on the page that lists the resolutions.

I found that Hz info on the win7 machine that has lower resolutions but
not the XP one which has the 1600x1200 output
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17/07/14 12:01, N_Cook wrote:
Feeding to an external monitor with 1600x1200, the image is locked but
feeding a colour bar test signal in, its as though the colour saturation
is just one bit.
Left side white to mid of the RGB colour bands are saturated full on RGB
colour and to the right of centre all are black.
Setting the pc to 1280x1024 and 1024x768 the image is fine. External
monitor is capable of 1600x1200 , 60Hz , 60Hz only .
Win7 and XP machines seem to only show the resolution in display
properties as 1600x1200 , not the frame rate, how to check if its 60 or
something else

Install Powerstrip. It will tell you more than ye need to know.

http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:57:37 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

On 17/07/2014 13:29, Pat wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:01:32 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Feeding to an external monitor with 1600x1200, the image is locked but
feeding a colour bar test signal in, its as though the colour saturation
is just one bit.
Left side white to mid of the RGB colour bands are saturated full on RGB
colour and to the right of centre all are black.
Setting the pc to 1280x1024 and 1024x768 the image is fine. External
monitor is capable of 1600x1200 , 60Hz , 60Hz only .
Win7 and XP machines seem to only show the resolution in display
properties as 1600x1200 , not the frame rate, how to check if its 60 or
something else

Go to "advanced settings" on the page that lists the resolutions.

I found that Hz info on the win7 machine that has lower resolutions but
not the XP one which has the 1600x1200 output

I just powered up my old XP notebook. On the video settings page, I
chose "advanced", then clicked on the "monitor" tab. It shows the
refresh setting (60 Hz in my case).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:01:32 AM UTC-7, N_Cook wrote:
Feeding to an external monitor with 1600x1200, the image is locked but
feeding a colour bar test signal in...
Left side white to mid of the RGB colour bands are saturated full on RGB
colour and to the right of centre all are black.

Another way to see the monitor speeds is to use the menu on the monitor (some
monitors, anyhow).
It's possible that your saturation-or-monochrome issue is related to the
memory limits of the video (card?) - sometimes there are just not enough
memory bits available to have both highest resolution and 24 bits of
color information for each pixel. If it's really 'black', though, that's more likely
a gamma setting or (old monitors) analog gain and offsets of the
R,G, and B , as well as the (CRT) "screen" brightness control. The
gray-bars test pattern is required for making these adjustments, as well
as some HV precautions and insulated adjustment tools.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 18/07/2014 23:05, whit3rd wrote:
[...]

I had tried dropping back to 16 bit colour but the same "1 bit"
saturation effect on a test colour bar image. I also had another rummage
around for video settings but could only find display settings of a x b
and no Hz info
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

I had tried dropping back to 16 bit colour but the same "1 bit"
saturation effect on a test colour bar image. I also had another
rummage around for video settings but could only find display
settings of a x b and no Hz info.

There /has/ to be a "screen refresh rate" setting somewhere. The rate has to
be within the range a monitor can handle. This is particularly true for CRT
displays, which can be damaged by an excessively high rate.

I right-clicked the Windows 7 desktop, and selected "Screen Resolution". On
that screen, I clicked "Advanced settings". On the "Monitor" tab, you can
select the screen refresh rate.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 19/07/2014 16:35, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

I had tried dropping back to 16 bit colour but the same "1 bit"
saturation effect on a test colour bar image. I also had another
rummage around for video settings but could only find display
settings of a x b and no Hz info.

There /has/ to be a "screen refresh rate" setting somewhere. The rate
has to be within the range a monitor can handle. This is particularly
true for CRT displays, which can be damaged by an excessively high rate.

I right-clicked the Windows 7 desktop, and selected "Screen Resolution".
On that screen, I clicked "Advanced settings". On the "Monitor" tab, you
can select the screen refresh rate.

Win7 is ok,ignore previous, the problem is with XP , happens to be Pro
version, not showing the Hz settings.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

I had tried dropping back to 16 bit colour but the same "1 bit"
saturation effect on a test colour bar image. I also had another
rummage around for video settings but could only find display
settings of a x b and no Hz info.

There /has/ to be a "screen refresh rate" setting somewhere. The rate
has to be within the range a monitor can handle. This is particularly
true for CRT displays, which can be damaged by an excessively high rate.

I right-clicked the Windows 7 desktop, and selected "Screen Resolution".
On that screen, I clicked "Advanced settings". On the "Monitor" tab, you
can select the screen refresh rate.

Win7 is ok,ignore previous, the problem is with XP , happens to be Pro
version, not showing the Hz settings.

XP shows the Hz setting, too. On the screen resolutions page, click
the advanced link and then select the monitor tab. It looks different
than 7, but it is there.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

I had tried dropping back to 16 bit colour but the same "1 bit"
saturation effect on a test colour bar image.

Win7 is ok,ignore previous, the problem is with XP , happens to be Pro
version, not showing the Hz settings.

Perhaps the screen is organized with an incompatible setup to your bar-generating
program? Right-click on the program, and see if there's variant video settings
available (there's some version-to-version variation in the video settings matrix,
a type that has been outmoded gets ditched in favor of settings for a new
high-res screen sometimes). In this scenario, the 'black' parts are addressing
into uninitialized memory on the video card.