Posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair

Default What are basic diagnostic tests on a Windows laptop that won't boot?

In message , Calia
writes:
On Tue, 27 May 2014 00:00:05 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

I'd agree with those expressing doubt as to whether it's worth it, and
try with an external monitor first.

I hadn't even thought of that!

It's a great idea.

I have one at work, which I can test out tomorrow!

Thanks!

Do check first whether any of the function keys switch between monitors:
many (I think most, I'm guessing to save battery power) laptops don't
drive the external VGA socket unless you tell them to. Look for blue (or
whatever colour the "Fn" on the function key is in) symbols on the F
keys, that look (if you have a good imagination!) like monitors; on here
it's Fn+F4. The sequence varies between models; a typical sequence is
that successive presses switch from internal monitor, to external
monitor, to both, and back again to internal (only). Some detect the
presence of an external monitor and only drive it if it's there; some do
that, but only do the detecting at bootup. So you've got lots to try!

I hope the monitor you try can do the resolution and refresh rates your
laptop puts out; it might be worth trying a few such (from whatever it's
normally connected to) first, to see what it says. (Most monitors give
subtly different displays for: no signal; signal out of range; signal
they can display. No signal they usually go into standby, ditto signal
out of range - but for both of those, they may display something
different for a small number of seconds first.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0.