Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony RM-U100

I started using my old Sony STR-AV910 receiver after it had been
stored for a year or two. Everything worked except the remote. One
battery was in pretty good shape, but the other showed only 0.8 volts.
However, neither battery was leaking. I installed new batteries, but
still no output. I tried removing and reinstalling the batteries a
few times and finally gave up. (I did learn that, unlike my old
iPhone, my newer iPhone has an IR filter on its camera, though).

Anyway, I went to 800-remote's web site and saw I could buy a
refurbished unit. However, if the problem was caused by dried up
caps, a refurbished unit of the same age might fail soon. While
thinking about it, I noticed a "fix it yourself" link on their site. I
clicked on it and was instructed to remove the batteries, press every
button once, repeat for every setting of the two slide switched and
then reinsert the batteries. I was very skeptical, but sure enough,
it works fine now. I can only guess, it needed to be fully reset and
pressing the buttons fully shorted any charge remaining on high
impedance input lines of the ic. Any other thoughts on why that
procedure fixed it? They claim it fixes 1 in 3 failed remotes.

Pat
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Pat wrote:
I clicked on it and was instructed to remove the batteries, press
every button once, repeat for every setting of the two slide switched
and then reinsert the batteries. I was very skeptical, but sure
enough, it works fine now.

Maybe one of the buttons or switches was stuck on, or had some goop
(beverage, etc) shorting the contacts, and operating the buttons
cleared it? I've seen a remote where a button could be stuck on, but
it was hard to tell by inspection that it was lower than the adjacent
buttons.

Matt Roberds

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 28/01/2014 20:29, Pat wrote:
[...]

Probably insulating black CuS corrossion on the slide switches,
corrossion under a key would not stop the unit as a whole from
operating. Daily or regular use keeps that corrossion at bay,
by the wiping action of the phosphor bronze sliding contacts.
At least the corrossion product of silver plating is conductive and of
course gold plating does not corrode in normal circumstances.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

Seen it many times with many brands. Alway recommend the customer try this
before replacing the remote. Don't need to press all buttons, 2 or 3 will
do.

The chip inside just seems to get locked up.

Mark Z.