Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Any Schematics for Behringer EPA40 Portable PA?

I got this used, "untested", and it appears to be non-functional. I
haven't checked out all the pieces yet, but operating off the AC adapter, I
get a loud "pop" when I turn it on, but absolute silence from the
microphone. It may just be that the mic is dead. I'll test the line input
next and if that works, check it with a known good mic.

I'm trying to charge the battery now, although I suspect it is toast.
Nominal 12V sealed lead acid, and it read 5V open circuit. After about
half an hour, neither the battery nor the charger are particularly warm.

I'm guessing I will have to dig into the innards. Does anyone have any
experience with these gadgets, or better yet, a schematic?

Thanks!

Doug White

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Doug White wrote in
:

I got this used, "untested", and it appears to be non-functional. I
haven't checked out all the pieces yet, but operating off the AC
adapter, I get a loud "pop" when I turn it on, but absolute silence
from the microphone. It may just be that the mic is dead. I'll test
the line input next and if that works, check it with a known good mic.

I'm trying to charge the battery now, although I suspect it is toast.
Nominal 12V sealed lead acid, and it read 5V open circuit. After
about half an hour, neither the battery nor the charger are
particularly warm.

I'm guessing I will have to dig into the innards. Does anyone have
any experience with these gadgets, or better yet, a schematic?

Well, somedays you get lucky. The mic cable had the center conductor
broken in the XLR plug. I'm not wild about the startup "pop", or the
health of the battery, but the basic PA function works just fine.

The battery voltage seems to be creeping up, so we'll see. New ones are
only $15, so it's not a big deal if the battery is shot.

I only paid $18 for the whole system (nominally $5 + $13 shipping), so I
can't complain. New they are ~ $120, and this one is is pristine
condition.

I wish they were all this easy...

Doug White
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Doug White"

I'm guessing I will have to dig into the innards. Does anyone have any
experience with these gadgets, or better yet, a schematic?

** Behringer are extremely secretive about their schematics - they supply
them to "authorised" repairers only and warn them not to supply others.

Essentially it is an ill thought out tactic to prevent "unauthorised"
repairs doing any Behringer service either in or out of the warranty period.
As Behringer gear is chock full of SMD crap and PCB swapping is the name of
the game - most independent repair businesses are happy to go along.

Customers however are being mightily screwed - with no choice of repairer
and often only one place in a city or even a whole country available to do
the work.

Also, if Behringer ever decide or need to find a replacement - people with
experience on Behringer gear are simply non existent.

.... Phil