Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Centronix gender?

I'm assuming the part that looks like a mouth with teeth (contacts) inwards
is the female and the part that looks like a tongue with studs (contacts) on
it is male?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:19:27 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I'm assuming the part that looks like a mouth with teeth (contacts) inwards

is the female and the part that looks like a tongue with studs (contacts) on

it is male?

yes

.... and the connector is Amphenol micro-ribbon type (Centronix is a
defunct printer manufacturer that used one of the variants).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks to all

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

gregz wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
wrote:

I'm assuming the part that looks like a mouth with teeth (contacts) inwards
is the female and the part that looks like a tongue with studs (contacts) on
it is male?

Centronics. Centronics was a manufacturer of mainframe printers who
decided to use a standardized interface on their products, and it spread
across the industry over time. The original connectors were AMP Blue
Ribbon series 36 contact. Now part of TE Connectivity.

We had quite a party trying to fix a centronics printer that was part of a
minicomputer system. Late 70's design. Must of taken 3-4 rotating shifts
of work.
Don't remember the details, but a replacement was not at hand.

Those printers were very expensive, so not having a spare wasn't a
common occurrence. I hated the GE band printers, but I thought the Data
Products drum printers were interesting. Just don't print all 132
columns of the same character too often, or they would walk across the
floor.

I had a Printronix P300 or P600 at home for a while. It had 4 or 5 large
boards to make up the logic/interface and store the character ROMs. The
giant 1/3rd HP sized induction motor inside of it was the best part.

The other rediculous beast was a Florida Data dot matrix printer. It had
the fastest carriage I've ever seen in any printer. The thing would rock
any printer stand back and forth with ease.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

gregz wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Back in the days when plastic was just used for insulation & trim
parts.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I never soldered them. I used a crimper to install pins for a
new DB25.

That reminds me of those white and red pin extractor tools. I just
saw one pop up not too long ago.

I've used thin brass tubing when the right extractor wasn't
available.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I never soldered them. I used a crimper to install pins for a
new DB25.

That reminds me of those white and red pin extractor tools. I just
saw one pop up not too long ago.

I've used thin brass tubing when the right extractor wasn't
available.

It's always the last pin or shell that just won't come out or has the
locking splays break off during the battle to be removed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I never soldered them. I used a crimper to install pins for a
new DB25.

That reminds me of those white and red pin extractor tools. I just
saw one pop up not too long ago.

I've used thin brass tubing when the right extractor wasn't
available.

It's always the last pin or shell that just won't come out or has the
locking splays break off during the battle to be removed.That happensquite often if you don't push the wire in to pull the tabs away from the housing. Other times it's from excessive pulling on the wire, till it deforms the tabs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I never soldered them. I used a crimper to install pins for a
new DB25.

That reminds me of those white and red pin extractor tools. I just
saw one pop up not too long ago.

I've used thin brass tubing when the right extractor wasn't
available.

It's always the last pin or shell that just won't come out or has the
locking splays break off during the battle to be removed.That happensquite often if you don't push the wire in to pull the tabs away from the housing. Other times it's from excessive pulling on the wire, till it deforms the tabs.

I hate molex connectors for this reason. The phase of the moon will make a
the pins and shells go out of aligmment and then somebody force it,
leaving it broken for the next use. I'm surprised there isn't some $450
tool to pull the pins or shells back into the connector housing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:

I hate molex connectors for this reason. The phase of the moon will make a
the pins and shells go out of aligmment and then somebody force it,
leaving it broken for the next use. I'm surprised there isn't some $450
tool to pull the pins or shells back into the connector housing.

I've seen a lot of fake Molex connectors in PCs. Their logo was
missing on the shell, and the contacts.