Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Centronix gender?

On 01/27/2014 05:06 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

I'm assuming the part that looks like a mouth with teeth (contacts) inwards
is the female and the part that looks like a tongue with studs (contacts) on
it is male?

Centronics. Centronics was a manufacturer of mainframe printers who
decided to use a standardized interface on their products, and it spread
across the industry over time. The original connectors were AMP Blue
Ribbon series 36 contact. Now part of TE Connectivity.

It's actually a pretty nice connector. It's hard to break and reliable
enough. Anybody miss cutting apart printer cables to run though walls and
then having to resolder the DB25 side back on?

I never soldered them. I used a crimper to install pins for a new
DB25.

That reminds me of those white and red pin extractor tools. I just saw one
pop up not too long ago.

I have several. They used to throw them in with a box of pins. Molex
brand I think. I remember when we built our own phone system we had to
find a volunteer with a 25 pair crimper.