Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Motorola V3 phone charging

There are several questions I'd like to ask. I own a Motorola V3 phone. I have two 120V chargers and two 12V automotive chargers. For quite some time now I've noticed that neither 120V charger will charge the battery. So I have been charging the battery from either the bench power supply or the cigarette lighter in my truck using the 12 volt adapter. It's a minor inconvenience but I'm living with it.

I recently got a new battery because the existing one wasn't staying up for more than about a day or so, and I've noticed that I can now get 2 or 3 days out of it before the phone indicates that the battery is going weak. So although that's a noticeable improvement the 120V chargers still will not charge this new battery either. I find it strange that both of these chargers seem to have failed at the same time, and therefore suspect that perhaps something in the phone is causing this.

Recently I plugged the phone with the new battery into the truck and let it charge overnight. That night it was very cold, probably in the single numbers. The next morning the battery was pretty much dead, In fact it was in worse condition than when I first connected it to the truck. I brought the phone into the house and charged it using one of the 12 volt chargers and it charged up fine and once again stays up for 2 or 3 days. Are these cells being monitored for temperature as they charge and did the cold evening disrupt that?

Also, does anyone have a clue as to why I cannot use my 120 volt chargers, (other than they are both defective), but I seriously doubt that. Thanks, Lenny