Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default third-party power supplies for computers

It's unfortunate Ms Riphnykhazova's problem has been "solved" in such a
terrible way. I hope Targus will fully reimburse her for the cost of repairing
or replacing her computer.

I searched for Targus APM12US reviews, and found that Newegg customers weren't
happy with it, for a number of reasons. Amazon has a single one-star review.
Poor-fitting tips, and a tendency for the computer to shut off when the cord
is moved are common complaints. It goes without saying that Web reviews are
often useful in making purchase decisions. *

There are alternatives to third-party accessories -- such as OEM products!
Several months ago, I decided I should have at least one spare power supply
for my HP notebook. I checked eBay, and sure enough, several companies were
selling real HP power supplies for a pittance. I bought a 90W supply and a 60W
supply (for away-from-home use -- it's smaller). No problems.

This isn't the first time I've found things cheaper on eBay than from the
manufacturer.

* I sometimes ignore bad reviews. The Motorola 6121 modem has gotten mixed
reviews -- a lot of buyers complain that it simply fails -- but, so far, my
sample has given no problems.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."
-- Edwin Land