Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default telephone calling cards

Up until recently we had a long distance calling card that we used from home. We called into a local number then put the pin number in and then dialed the number. The card was 1/2 cent per minute and except for a few glitches now and then the service was not bad. Every few months I'd call their toll free number and add minutes to the card.The company just folded and I was wondering if anyone knew of another similar carrier that does this? There were also no fees or hidden charges either. We live in New Hampshire but the company was based in Massachusetts and had local numbers throughout New England. Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Up until recently we had a long distance calling card that we used from
home. We called into a local number then put the pin number in and then
dialed the number. The card was 1/2 cent per minute and except for a few
glitches now and then the service was not bad. Every few months I'd call
their toll free number and add minutes to the card.The company just
folded and I was wondering if anyone knew of another similar carrier that
does this? There were also no fees or hidden charges either. We live in
New Hampshire but the company was based in Massachusetts and had local
numbers throughout New England. Thanks, Lenny

You can usually find cards at convenience store, drug stores, groceries.
There ARe different companies. You have to look past the cell phone cards
which outnumber the regular cards.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 19:52:57 -0700, captainvideo462009 wrote:

Up until recently we had a long distance calling card that we used from
home. We called into a local number then put the pin number in and then
dialed the number. The card was 1/2 cent per minute and except for a few
glitches now and then the service was not bad. Every few months I'd call
their toll free number and add minutes to the card.The company just
folded and I was wondering if anyone knew of another similar carrier
that does this? There were also no fees or hidden charges either. We
live in New Hampshire but the company was based in Massachusetts and had
local numbers throughout New England. Thanks, Lenny

Did you try night shops and internet shops?
Cheers!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Can I use Google voice with dialup?
Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
wrote:
Can I use Google voice with dialup?

Trying to do any sort of modem communication, over any sort of
voice-over-IP audio pathway is usually a horrible exercise in
frustration. VoIP tends to be vulnerable to packet loss and timing
jitter, and many VoIP connections use voice-grade lossy codecs. Even
fax connections at 1200 bits/second are difficult to get working
well.

High-speed modem connections (e.g. V.90) require a much cleaner and
more stable signal pathway... "dropouts" and timing jitter and
distortion will bollix them pretty badly. You really need a
circuit-switched connection.

I have not personally tried doing dialup-modem connections over GV,
but I'd be somewhat surprised if you found it to work acceptably.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20 Jul 2013 12:41:59 GMT, c4urs11 wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 19:52:57 -0700, captainvideo462009 wrote:

Up until recently we had a long distance calling card that we used from
home. We called into a local number then put the pin number in and then
dialed the number. The card was 1/2 cent per minute and except for a few
glitches now and then the service was not bad. Every few months I'd call
their toll free number and add minutes to the card.The company just
folded and I was wondering if anyone knew of another similar carrier
that does this? There were also no fees or hidden charges either. We
live in New Hampshire but the company was based in Massachusetts and had
local numbers throughout New England. Thanks, Lenny

Did you try night shops and internet shops?
Cheers!

We bought our current LD calling card at Costco -- Verizon 700 minutes.

Jonesy
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Platt wrote:

I have not personally tried doing dialup-modem connections over GV,
but I'd be somewhat surprised if you found it to work acceptably.

Long ago and far away, SKYPE worked with dialup connections. It had a special
codec that it used, and a better one for faster (ISDN and LAN) connections.

That was probably at least 10 years ago, I get "your computer is too slow"
messages with a 1.6gHz ATOM processor all the time, and occasionally
with a 3.6gHz dual core XEON.

I also get "you line is too slow" messages with a 50mbit down/ 3mbit up
aDSL line.

So although it was technically possible to do it at one time, it's not
likely now.

I think though we've missed the whole point of the question, he does not
want a VoIP solution as much as a callback system and I think Google Voice
does that. You go to their webpage and schedule a call, and their system
calls your registered phone line.

When you answer, it calls the number you requested and connects the two.

Of course, you need two phone lines, one to dial up with and one to receive
the call.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think though we've missed the whole point of the question, he does not
want a VoIP solution as much as a callback system and I think Google Voice
does that. You go to their webpage and schedule a call, and their system
calls your registered phone line.

When you answer, it calls the number you requested and connects the two.

Right... but I interpreted his question to mean "Can I make a Google
Voice call, and run a dialup modem connection over it?" My belief is
that Google Voice uses a VoIP backbone to carry the call; the
endpoint connections are over the PSTN but I believe that the
long-distance part of the call is via VoIP.

Of course, you need two phone lines, one to dial up with and one to receive
the call.

Probably so. You might be able to click the "Make a call" button,
immediately hang up, and receive the first leg of the call on the same
phone line, but the timing would be very tricky.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Once you have registered, GV works fine. The quality [to Bangkok, Manila]
is very good after the first few seconds.
I think the initial registration might be tricky if all you had was dial-up
because, IIRC, you do get a callback in that process and need to enter some
code within a few seconds. There is a work-around somewhere but I think
signing up at a friend's PC with a dedicated connection and useable phone
would be sufficient.

"David Platt" wrote in message
[...]

Sound Cards Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 18 June 13th 08 05:14 AM
Telephone Network Interface Device (NID) Telephone Box ? Robert11 Home Ownership 1 May 3rd 07 10:37 PM
OT ... ID cards raden UK diy 365 May 31st 05 09:01 PM
OT - Could this be the new SS cards? Bernd Metalworking 6 April 30th 05 04:32 AM
way OT but not political - anyone need some 155MBPS ATM cards (no, not money cards) william_b_noble Metalworking 2 April 18th 05 04:16 AM