Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default telephone calling cards

David Platt wrote:

I have not personally tried doing dialup-modem connections over GV,
but I'd be somewhat surprised if you found it to work acceptably.

Long ago and far away, SKYPE worked with dialup connections. It had a special
codec that it used, and a better one for faster (ISDN and LAN) connections.

That was probably at least 10 years ago, I get "your computer is too slow"
messages with a 1.6gHz ATOM processor all the time, and occasionally
with a 3.6gHz dual core XEON.

I also get "you line is too slow" messages with a 50mbit down/ 3mbit up
aDSL line.

So although it was technically possible to do it at one time, it's not
likely now.

I think though we've missed the whole point of the question, he does not
want a VoIP solution as much as a callback system and I think Google Voice
does that. You go to their webpage and schedule a call, and their system
calls your registered phone line.

When you answer, it calls the number you requested and connects the two.

Of course, you need two phone lines, one to dial up with and one to receive
the call.

Geoff.