Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Vizio 42" LED TV No backlight, blows fuse

Hi;

This is a Vizio M420NV.
Backlight was out, I found an open 3A fuse (TF1) on the main board that carries 12.4 vdc. When fuse replaced, the backlight will flash a couple of times and poof goes the fuse again.

I don't have a diagram. I wonder if this might be due to a inverter fault ?
I checked power transistors on main and power supply board.
Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

?
I checked power transistors on main and power supply board.
Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Can you hear any fizzing/arcing across turns in the inverter Tx ?
Can you reduce the mains voltage a bit and maybe increase the amount of
on-time a bit , to monitor the fault situation a bit longer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:13:58 AM UTC-5, Sparkey wrote:
Hi;

This is a Vizio M420NV.

Backlight was out, I found an open 3A fuse (TF1) on the main board that carries 12.4 vdc. When fuse replaced, the backlight will flash a couple of times and poof goes the fuse again.

I don't have a diagram. I wonder if this might be due to a inverter fault ?

I checked power transistors on main and power supply board.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

The fuse for the 12V feed to the main does not cover the inverter B+, that's fed directly from the smps to the inverter board(s) and fused at that end.. The inverter was blinking because the main is gimpy..

If the 12V fuse on the main is opening, you most likely have a shorted regulator IC on the main, and possibly an IC after that drawing and overheating the regulator. Unfortunately, Vizio is loathe to provide any service information on their boards. You're best bet at this point is to replace the main. Make sure you get the correct one as there are typically several versions for the same model to match the display\tcon.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The fuse for the 12V feed to the main does not cover the inverter B+,

Ahhh, that's what I wanted to know...

I needed to confirm that the inverter was not powered from main board.
So my problem is likely localized to the main board.
I will have another look at the power transistors and IC's tomorrow.

Thank you !!

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:30:33 PM UTC-8, John-Del wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 5 March 2013 13:13:58 UTC, Sparkey wrote:
Hi;

This is a Vizio M420NV.

Backlight was out, I found an open 3A fuse (TF1) on the main board that carries 12.4 vdc. When fuse replaced, the backlight will flash a couple of times and poof goes the fuse again.

I don't have a diagram. I wonder if this might be due to a inverter fault ?

I checked power transistors on main and power supply board.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Hi there, I would also check any electrolytic capacitors on the inverter board, making sure they are at least 105 degree celcius type with low equivalent series resistance - low ESR type.

tv blows fuse Steve45 Electronics Repair 6 March 29th 07 09:05 PM
Mower fuse blows donh Home Repair 3 June 17th 06 04:23 PM
Microwave - fuse blows Wolf Drechsel Home Repair 6 December 30th 04 03:55 PM
Fuse Blows Ish Electronics Repair 1 October 10th 04 05:57 AM
fuse blows RubbishRat Electronics Repair 1 July 25th 04 12:03 AM