Wolf Drechsel

Default Microwave - fuse blows

Hello friends,

is here someone around who is experienced in microwaves?

I've got a panasonic "dimension 4" with a blown 10-A-fuse. Replacing it
allowes the display to work, starting a cooking process blows the fuse
again.

I found that the protection diode at the high-voltage-capacitor reads a
resistance of apx. 100 Ohms both directions (should be infinite due to
repair manual).

Is there a chance to make the microwave work again by replacing the
diode - or is the diode damaged for any other component (magnetron or
so) is gone?

Greetings - and all the best wishes for the next year

Wolf

New microwave ovens are cheap. Do not waste money repairing an old one.

Joseph Meehan

Wolf Drechsel wrote:
Hello friends,

is here someone around who is experienced in microwaves?

I've got a panasonic "dimension 4" with a blown 10-A-fuse. Replacing
it allowes the display to work, starting a cooking process blows the
fuse again.

I found that the protection diode at the high-voltage-capacitor reads
a resistance of apx. 100 Ohms both directions (should be infinite due
to repair manual).

Is there a chance to make the microwave work again by replacing the
diode - or is the diode damaged for any other component (magnetron or
so) is gone?

Greetings - and all the best wishes for the next year

Wolf

The cost of figuring out what of the 59 different possibilities may be
bad is not worth the time and expense. It is almost always cheaper to buy a
new one.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Jim Yanik

Paul Franklin wrote in
:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:13:35 +0100, (Wolf Drechsel)
wrote:

Hello friends,

is here someone around who is experienced in microwaves?

I've got a panasonic "dimension 4" with a blown 10-A-fuse. Replacing it
allowes the display to work, starting a cooking process blows the fuse
again.

I found that the protection diode at the high-voltage-capacitor reads a
resistance of apx. 100 Ohms both directions (should be infinite due to
repair manual).

Is there a chance to make the microwave work again by replacing the
diode - or is the diode damaged for any other component (magnetron or
so) is gone?

Greetings - and all the best wishes for the next year

Wolf

There are many, many things that can cause the fuse to blow. For one,
microwaves have redundant safeties to ensure that the magnetron can't
operate if the door isn't properly and securely latched. These
safeties often use a small relay to crowbar the power supply, blowing
the fuse. This can be caused by something as simple as a door latch
out of adjustment.

Unless it's a quite new high-end model, I doubt it will be worth the
diagnostic charge to have it looked at. Sad, but true.

Paul

It's not a protection diode,its a RECTIFIER diode,that changes the AC to DC
for the magnetron tube.

In my Sharp MW,the HV cap shorted(made a bigh POP),and I replaced the HV
cap and the rectifier diode for about $25USD.I got the parts from a local
appliance repair store.The HV cap was big expense,$18,the diode was $5.(in
Y2000)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik