Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Workman-like make of valve/tube sockets?

That last more than 5 years before the gap in the socket pin opens up enough
to break contact on the grid pin?
octal EL34 type valves seem to have pins about 2.2/2.3 mm diameter. Failing
socket pins , measured cold , a gap in the Y as large as 2.1mm.
Luckily I've found a NOS McMurdo , British made socket that I will rob 4 of
the pins from, for the 4 grids, as physically compatible in the base matrix.
These unused ones measure 1.7/1.8mm in the active part of the Y gap.
The failed ones from 2007 have reduced metal in the region where its
required , the 2 prongs , except for a swelling at the contact point ,
measure in cross-section .7x.9mm down to the 2to1 middle of the pin . The
older ones measure .55 x 1.4mm , the 1.4mm dimension in the sense that you
want it , for long-term/hot-cold cycling strength.
Any modern makes have engineering drawings disclosing these pin dimensions ?
has the metal composition changed/ trade secret formulation lost?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook Inscribed thus:

[...]

Didn't you see my post a while ago where I said I had found a brand new
pack of five !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Baron wrote in message
N_Cook Inscribed thus:

[...]

A sustainable source of robust sockets?

Or even a source of pins of part spiral type perhaps , scaled up to 2mm of
turned pin socket type say or even scaled up QM. I've only once come across
bent pins on octal valves (owner bent them for easier access) . Just to
replace the grid pins of modern sockets, if not the remainder.
What else uese 2 to2.2mm size pins these days that has mating sockets?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

all the octal relay bases I've laying around have the simple Y fork type of
pin and they may not be suitable for high temperature use. I did find some
more NOS octal valve bases mixed in with them though

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook Inscribed thus:

all the octal relay bases I've laying around have the simple Y fork
type of pin and they may not be suitable for high temperature use. I
did find some more NOS octal valve bases mixed in with them though

I'll mail you.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 09:09:11 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

A sustainable source of robust sockets?

Or even a source of pins of part spiral type perhaps , scaled up to 2mm
of turned pin socket type say or even scaled up QM. I've only once come
across bent pins on octal valves (owner bent them for easier access) .
Just to replace the grid pins of modern sockets, if not the remainder.
What else uese 2 to2.2mm size pins these days that has mating sockets?

It occurs to me, Heathkit gear used good quality components, mounted
with nuts and bolts. Lots of good hardware there, if you can find it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Baron Inscribed thus:

N_Cook Inscribed thus:

all the octal relay bases I've laying around have the simple Y fork
type of pin and they may not be suitable for high temperature use. I
did find some more NOS octal valve bases mixed in with them though

I'll mail you.

Did you get my Email ?

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Baron wrote in message
Baron Inscribed thus:

N_Cook Inscribed thus:

all the octal relay bases I've laying around have the simple Y fork
type of pin and they may not be suitable for high temperature use. I
did find some more NOS octal valve bases mixed in with them though

I'll mail you.

Did you get my Email ?

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Ignore any unmunged email addresses you find on Usenet, a matter of putting
any apparent such adresses in Google for references to related proper
addresses

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook Inscribed thus:

Baron wrote in message
Baron Inscribed thus:

N_Cook Inscribed thus:

all the octal relay bases I've laying around have the simple Y
fork type of pin and they may not be suitable for high temperature
use. I did find some more NOS octal valve bases mixed in with them
though

I'll mail you.

Did you get my Email ?

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Ignore any unmunged email addresses you find on Usenet, a matter of
putting any apparent such adresses in Google for references to related
proper addresses

In that case, my addy is good !

--
Best Regards: