Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.engineering.electrical

Default Lilfe in the slow (repair) lane.

If
you're wondering why you're seeing the same broken user interfaces
repeated ad infinitum, this is why.

Lesson learned: Innovative user interfaces are risky.

OK. End of yet another rant...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Rant noted and seconded. I've seen aftermarket auto radios that required you
to hold-two-buttons to turn the power off. Now what the hell were they
thinking? And this wasn't some cheap unknown brand, it was made by Pioneer.
Don't the designers know that complexity in a vehicle environment can lead
to dangerously distracted driving? Or do they give a damn?
Tom

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.engineering.electrical

Tom Hoehler wrote:

If
you're wondering why you're seeing the same broken user interfaces
repeated ad infinitum, this is why.

Lesson learned: Innovative user interfaces are risky.

OK. End of yet another rant...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Rant noted and seconded. I've seen aftermarket auto radios that required you
to hold-two-buttons to turn the power off. Now what the hell were they
thinking? And this wasn't some cheap unknown brand, it was made by Pioneer.
Don't the designers know that complexity in a vehicle environment can lead
to dangerously distracted driving? Or do they give a damn?

How many people pull their after market radio after a wreck? If you
live, you'll just by another radio.

enough left over to pay them.

Sometimes Friday is just the fifth Monday of the week.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.engineering.electrical

Default SPSC2 SPSC2 Lilfe in the slow (repair) lane.

On 27/3/2013 2:12 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 01:08:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

*MY* favorite (actually, most hated...) "how not to" is the spare tire
carrier on domestic (Ford, GMC, etc.) full-size trucks. My folks had
a car repair and tire place. I've cursed out loud in front of my
mother while trying to remove/replace a tire under a truck. A
(slightly) better design is the chain hoist system used on some
smaller imports. I hope there's a special place in hell for the
Mercedes-driving engineer that designed this thing (you know HE never
changed a flat in his life!).

My former 1983 Dodge D50 pickup had a chain hoist spare tire under the
bed. Great idea until I blew a rear tire and high centered the rear
axle while driving on a dirt road on the way to a mountain top radio
site. In order to lower the tire, a long hand crank was provided. The
problem was that I was backed up against a hillside, and could not get
the long crank into the hole. I had to dig out part of the hillside
for it to fit. In order to remove the spare tire, I had to jack up
the pickup bed about 3 ft off the ground, and crawl under the raised
bed to release the toggle link holding the tire to the chain. Of
course, with the tire lowered, the toggle link is UNDER the tire on
the ground. I raised it with a bottle jack and a rather unstable pile
of rocks. While replacing the blown tire, the pile of rocks and jack
did partially collapse. Perhaps in your parents tire store, it might
work, but on a dirt road, it's not easy.

Yes, my Toyota has the chain lift spare system too. But its marginally
better than having to unload the whole back of the tray to get to the
spare, like some other pickups.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.engineering.electrical

Default SPSC2 Lilfe in the slow (repair) lane.

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:25:29 -0700, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:12:35 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

"The barrel of bricks was heavier than I was..."

That's NOT what happened. All the rocks in the area were sandstone.
When I lowered the jack after replacing the tire, because my pickup
was at a slight angle, the crumbly rocks didn't like the side load and
crumbled. That caused the jack to fall over, and the car to slide
sideways (fortunately away from me). Not fun.

The idea of a spare tire should have gone the way of the buggy whip
socket. The spare is an indication that the other 4 tires are not to
be trusted. Perhaps it might make sense to improve the tire design so
that it can be trusted?

There are plenty of good (and bad) ideas on how to build a flat proof
tire.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=pts&q=flat+proof+tire
In it's simplest form, molding multiple cellular air chambers into the
tire, should work. If one section to loses pressure, the other air
chambers will provide adequate suspension. There are also inserts of
various types:
http://www.airserts.com
http://www.designarmor.com/Run_Flat_Tire_Inserts.html
http://rodgard.com/runflats.htm
Also, self-sealing tires:
http://www.rhinotire.com
and wheels with built in suspension:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tweel&tbm=isch
Any of these would be safer than the current pneumatic tire, which
tends to fail catastrophically after a blowout, usually causing a loss
of control.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Junior Member

such problems should be taken with proper care and precaution have a good deal to it and if problem do contact a good person in this feild

Memory Lane, slightly OT Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 62 May 10th 09 03:49 AM
A Trip Down Memory Lane (Somewhat O.T.) GROVER Woodworking 55 March 16th 07 01:45 PM
Private lane lynd UK diy 2 August 12th 05 07:52 PM
Wtb wooden 4 lane slot car track Gamer of NC Woodworking 0 April 19th 05 11:19 PM