Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Actual Length of 4/3 A NIMH Flat Top Cells With Tabs

I'm finding several cell lengths specified for 4/3 A cells, from 65 to
67.5mm.
Cells with tabs can vary in length due to wavy welds, but probably not much.

I'm considering Varta or FDK brands with 4100 mAh ratings, and shorter cells
don't seem to be available in 4000+ ratings.

I'm trying to determine if 4 cells length-wise will fit into a space of
about 260.3mm or 10.25".

Avoid using your metal calipers on a charged cell, eh?

Thanks

--
Cheers,
WB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm finding several cell lengths specified for 4/3 A cells, from 65 to
67.5mm. Cells with tabs can vary in length due to wavy welds, but
probably not much.

Does the specified "length" account for the tabs? I would think not.

I'm trying to determine if 4 cells length-wise will fit into a space of
about 260.3mm or 10.25".

4 x 65 = 260, so it seems unlikely they'd fit.

Avoid using your metal calipers on a charged cell, eh?

Harbor Freight sells cheap plastic calipers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks, William. The cells are apparently also available in consumer
button-top style cases, which may be what the 67.5mm spec is attributed to.

Sellers and manufacturers often aren't critical about listing the
proper/correct specs.

I have a little wiggle room in the overall length (spring cotacts for the
battery pack), but not much.
I'm fairly certain that the OEM used the 4/3 A size cells in the original
battery pack, but I don't have one to open and inspect.
(4100 mAh rating and sub-C cells are too large in diameter to fit).

--
Cheers,
WB

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I'm finding several cell lengths specified for 4/3 A cells, from 65 to
67.5mm. Cells with tabs can vary in length due to wavy welds, but
probably not much.

Does the specified "length" account for the tabs? I would think not.

I'm trying to determine if 4 cells length-wise will fit into a space of
about 260.3mm or 10.25".

4 x 65 = 260, so it seems unlikely they'd fit.

Avoid using your metal calipers on a charged cell, eh?

Harbor Freight sells cheap plastic calipers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Larry at TNR Batteries measured their FDK America HR-4/3FAUX and Panasonic
4/3 A NIMH cells and reported 66.25mm in length.

This length makes these 4/3 A cells just a little too long for the
application, although I don't know of any other sizes smaller than a sub-C
diameter with a 4000+ mAh capacity.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I'm finding several cell lengths specified for 4/3 A cells, from 65 to
67.5mm.
Cells with tabs can vary in length due to wavy welds, but probably not
much.

I'm considering Varta or FDK brands with 4100 mAh ratings, and shorter
cells don't seem to be available in 4000+ ratings.

I'm trying to determine if 4 cells length-wise will fit into a space of
about 260.3mm or 10.25".

Avoid using your metal calipers on a charged cell, eh?

Thanks

--
Cheers,
WB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I received my order of 4/3 A NIMH 4500mAh cells (with tabs) and they measure
closer to 66.11mm in length (not 66.25 mentioned previously).

Markings show that these cells from TNR Technical Inc were manufactured in
Japan, which I consider an indicator of very good quality in batteries and
most other items.

It appears that normal compression of the spring contacts built into the
housing will enable me to fit 4 cells lengthwise in the case along with
suitable temperature protection device and resettable fuse for current
protection.. which should always be considered, IMO, when using rechargeable
cells.

--
Cheers,
WB