Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default In the **** with a Denon S-52DAB ... :-(

Anyone got any *practical on-the-bench* skill with this hateful little
do-it-all piece of crap ? I have the misfortune to currently have one in for
repair. I wanted to get down to the CD deck to clean it, so I took out every
cabinet screw that I could find, and the top came loose from the bottom.
After a lot of wiggling and juggling, the top finally came free enough to
see a couple of cables that were stopping it coming any further. I managed
to get a hand in and unplug them. When I finally had the two parts
separated, I found that a very short flexiprint from the display, had come
out of its latched ZIF connector on the upside-down fully shielded board
that's on top of the CD deck, which was, after all this hassle, still buried
so deep as to not be able to be got at.

I then came to see how to get it back together, and I have drawn a complete
blank. I cannot see any way that you can ever get the display flexi back
into its connector. It might just be possible, at a pinch, to get the other
connectors back in place, but I'm even skeptical about this. The cabinet
does not appear to come apart any more than it is now. Although the actual
front is a separate piece of plastic moulding, it is 'heat welded' to the
rest of the cabinet by staked-over pins. I can't even see how the idiot
piece of garbage was assembled in the first place.

Has anyone here got a set of disassembly / re-assembly instructions in a
manual, or ever done one ? I've been at this game for more than 40 years,
and I thought that I had seen every bit of nonsense design that it was
possible to have, but this one has got me totally beat, and I really have no
clue how to move on with it, or what I'm going to tell its owner if I can't
.... HELP !! :- |

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message
[...]

Not quite what they say on uk.d-i-y anf their fabled angle grinder , but
(judicious) use of a Dremmel and thin grinding disc to hack in somewhere?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

I have come across a couple of bits of equipment where a plastic logoed
"screen" was glued onto the rest of the unit, and on removal you find screws
underneath.

Can't really tell from the picture here
http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/denon-s52da...ck-p-1913.html
but is it possible to spudge off the clear window to find fixings obscured
by the Denon logo and surround?

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message
[...]

Are you a silent uk.d-i-y lurker ? Well I never ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Not easily, I don't think. That whole front piece is a separate moulding.
The grilles are 'tabbed' through slots, and the actual tabs go not only
through the front moulding, but also through the 'edge' on the rest of the
cabinet that the front moulding is fixed to, before being bent over. Since
posting, I have done a bit of judicious 'knifing' around the plastic-weld
stake-overs, and with a knife inserted in the gap, and some gentle pressure,
the remains of the pins *do* pull back through the holes relatively easily.
I stopped when I reached a few that I can't get to without unscrewing
another board, but it looks promising that I will be able to get the front
out without damage, which may then allow me to remake the connections. Thing
is, no matter how much the designer wanted to torment the poor *******s that
have got to mend his poorly-designed piece of crap, I can't imagine that
this is the way to do it.

I've had to put it aside now. Emergency Allen & Heath 24 channel desk with a
missing channel, needed by the theatre that it comes from, by Thursday ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Dodgy flying wiring to the faders is quite common on A&H, and not at first
obvious.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

this is the way to do it.

I've had to put it aside now. Emergency Allen & Heath 24 channel desk with
missing channel, needed by the theatre that it comes from, by Thursday ...

Arfa

Dodgy flying wiring to the faders is quite common on A&H, and not at first
obvious.

Gareth.

Yes indeedy, as well as bad joints on the XLRs on the rear panel 4 way input
boards. The guy in the shop is well aware of these problems, and able to
deal with them himself. He had already checked, and come to the conclusion
that it was a genuine fault on the channel 3 board. First thing I did was to
jack into channel 2 and make sure that worked ok, then to swap the CH2
flylead from the back board, into the CH3 input. It then worked, proving
that the problem was on the back board. Turned out to be nothing more
complicated than a set of bad switch contacts on the insert jack for that
channel, so that cheered the day up.

I then had a look at an old all-valve Pye Radio that some 'collector' had
brought in. Massive thing like 2 foot long with a high gloss wooden cabinet.
Got VHF in it as well. Stereo amp using 2 x EL84, but no VHF stereo decoder.
It had no audio on one channel and a lot of hum on the other channel. The
hum was down to one section of the main smoothing open, so that was easily
taken care of. The speakers had been changed at some time, and piezo disc
'tweeters' had been added across them. They looked like they had been
soldered with a poker, and on the bad channel, the ring and pad structure
had been virtually destroyed with a big wodge of cold solder piled on it. I
just put the cutters through the wires to it on the basis that I thought it
looked short circuit - and it was. That got the missing channel back. Its
final problem was very poor sensitivity on AM, although it wasn't bad on FM.
This turned out to be the 2nd (common) IF amplifier valve - EF80 - missing
its screen supply, due to an open 220k feed resistor. Worked like the day it
came out of the factory after replacing that. A very satisfying end to the
day !

Going back to my original problem with the Denon. Sad to see that no-one has
come up with any further helpful suggestions or disassembly instructions
:-(

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Ha! I've found a copy of the service manual buried deep in e-service.com.
Having now had a look at the dismantling instructions, the CD drive has got
to come out. Once you have that out, then it looks like you can get to the
board that sits on top of the drive, and can then get to the flexi from the
display. I have never seen such bloody nonsense in all my life ! I'll let
you know how it goes ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:09:52 PM UTC, Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

The trick is to remove the usb & h/phone aux socket from the front panel then remove cd player (6 silver screws on the side)tilt back & remove power & data connectors then you can remove the cd player & get access to that bloody little cable... good luck
Shortie

Belfort Instrument Company DigiWx AWOS SHIT, SHIT and MORE SHIT oilstick Electronics Repair 1 July 21st 12 02:00 AM
She-e-e-esh SHIT! Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 12 October 5th 08 10:38 PM
OH, SHIT, SORRY SteveB Metalworking 16 August 10th 07 07:28 PM
Where can I take a shit? [email protected] Home Repair 11 October 15th 06 04:47 AM
OT--Aww shit.. Cliff Metalworking 0 April 25th 06 08:34 AM