Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default In the **** with a Denon S-52DAB ... :-(

Anyone got any *practical on-the-bench* skill with this hateful little
do-it-all piece of crap ? I have the misfortune to currently have one in for
repair. I wanted to get down to the CD deck to clean it, so I took out every
cabinet screw that I could find, and the top came loose from the bottom.
After a lot of wiggling and juggling, the top finally came free enough to
see a couple of cables that were stopping it coming any further. I managed
to get a hand in and unplug them. When I finally had the two parts
separated, I found that a very short flexiprint from the display, had come
out of its latched ZIF connector on the upside-down fully shielded board
that's on top of the CD deck, which was, after all this hassle, still buried
so deep as to not be able to be got at.

I then came to see how to get it back together, and I have drawn a complete
blank. I cannot see any way that you can ever get the display flexi back
into its connector. It might just be possible, at a pinch, to get the other
connectors back in place, but I'm even skeptical about this. The cabinet
does not appear to come apart any more than it is now. Although the actual
front is a separate piece of plastic moulding, it is 'heat welded' to the
rest of the cabinet by staked-over pins. I can't even see how the idiot
piece of garbage was assembled in the first place.

Has anyone here got a set of disassembly / re-assembly instructions in a
manual, or ever done one ? I've been at this game for more than 40 years,
and I thought that I had seen every bit of nonsense design that it was
possible to have, but this one has got me totally beat, and I really have no
clue how to move on with it, or what I'm going to tell its owner if I can't

Arfa