Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Staples SPL-710SH shredder fixed.

A while back I got stuck repairing a Staples SPL-710SH shredder. The story
can be found here.
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...1170e6b 4e35c

I put it aside because not only did it have an electrical problem, one of
the gear's teeth was worn down. I tried futilely to try and find a
replacement. Then I found this great youtube video on how to "repair" the
gear. See here if you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlKm-4iTIKg

Now that the gear was fixed, I had to figure out the electrical problem.
When I put the paper in the slot, the shredder motor would not activate.
Then I did what I should have done the first time which was to remove both
IR emitters and make sure they were outputting light. I used my remote
control sensor card and placed it right up against the sensors. That was not
possible before with the sensors still mounted in the machine. One of the
emitters turned my sensor card a very pale orange. I could not detect any
response from the other emitter though the voltage and current going into it
was correct. Then I combed over the specifications of all kinds of IR
emitters trying to find a suitable replacement. Then it occurred to me to
just find an old remote control, take out the emitter, and put it in the
shredder. And a little to my surprise, that fixed the machine.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/23/2012 2:34 PM, David Farber wrote:
[...]

good job! Thanks for the post. I usually just remove any useable metal
and trash the rest. Will try repair next time!

Paul

Staples SPL-710SH shredder almost solved. David Farber Electronics Repair 5 December 15th 10 03:15 PM
Staples Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 May 4th 09 11:03 AM
U staples Eigenvector Home Repair 5 June 16th 06 10:14 PM
Where to get staples [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 3rd 05 11:15 AM
Stationary planers - fixed head or fixed table? Steve Turner Woodworking 5 July 12th 03 02:15 AM