Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP Pavilion DV6-2012AX not posting

Hi all..
Just discovered this section of internet, News Groups.
Need help in the repair of a HP DV6-2012AX notebook.
Does not post. All lights on but no initial bost screen.
Anyone know what or where I could find any information to start trouble
shooting the motherboard?
This series is designed andbuild by Quanta computers in taiwan.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 29, 9:47*pm, awni wrote:
Hi all..
Just discovered this section of internet, News Groups.
Need help in the repair of a HP DV6-2012AX notebook.
Does not post. All lights on but no initial bost screen.
Anyone know what or where I could find any information to start trouble
shooting the motherboard?
This series is designed andbuild by Quanta computers in taiwan.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

This NG might not be the best source of help. Have you tried comp .
sys . hp . hardware ? Or a forum at hp.com?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:47:39 PM UTC-6, awni wrote:
Hi all..
Just discovered this section of internet, News Groups.
Need help in the repair of a HP DV6-2012AX notebook.
Does not post. All lights on but no initial bost screen.
Anyone know what or where I could find any information to start trouble
shooting the motherboard?
This series is designed andbuild by Quanta computers in taiwan.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

You could also try he http://groups.google.com/group/comp....s/topics?hl=en
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/03/2012 6:56 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:47:39 PM UTC-6, awni wrote:
Hi all..
Just discovered this section of internet, News Groups.
Need help in the repair of a HP DV6-2012AX notebook.
Does not post. All lights on but no initial bost screen.
Anyone know what or where I could find any information to start trouble
shooting the motherboard?
This series is designed andbuild by Quanta computers in taiwan.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

You could also try he http://groups.google.com/group/comp....s/topics?hl=en

Thank you, this is a good start, I will visit these two news groups and
look through them, much appreciated.
Please do still list more news groups here if you can think of anymore.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

awni wrote:
Hi all..
Just discovered this section of internet, News Groups.
Need help in the repair of a HP DV6-2012AX notebook.
Does not post. All lights on but no initial bost screen.
Anyone know what or where I could find any information to start trouble
shooting the motherboard?
This series is designed andbuild by Quanta computers in taiwan.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

With the lights on the computer, I would assume you mean the power on
light? If there is power, and I would be using the power adapter, it
could be several things. The first thing I would do however is to
remove the RAM and reinstall it after cleaning the gold contacts with a
pencil eraser. A poor contact to the RAM would provide the error you
describe. You might also attach the laptop to another monitor via the
video output connector. It could be your display is the failing part.

Knowing how old the computer was would also be helpful.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 16:47:39 +1100, awni wrote:

Hi all..
Just discovered this section of internet, News Groups.
Need help in the repair of a HP DV6-2012AX notebook.
Does not post. All lights on but no initial bost screen.
Anyone know what or where I could find any information to start trouble
shooting the motherboard?
This series is designed andbuild by Quanta computers in taiwan.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Most likely the nvida video BGA chip has pins which have broken away
from the motherboard. There are places in the U.S. that will do a
competent repair and mod for $125.00. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/1/2012 2:00 AM, awni wrote:
On 1/03/2012 6:56 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:47:39 PM UTC-6, awni wrote:
Hi all..
Just discovered this section of internet, News Groups.
Need help in the repair of a HP DV6-2012AX notebook.
Does not post. All lights on but no initial bost screen.
Anyone know what or where I could find any information to start trouble
shooting the motherboard?
This series is designed andbuild by Quanta computers in taiwan.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

You could also try he
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....s/topics?hl=en

Thank you, this is a good start, I will visit these two news groups and
look through them, much appreciated.
Please do still list more news groups here if you can think of anymore.

Not exactly your case but active and full of knowledge.
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 07:59:50 -0600, chuck wrote:

Most likely the nvida video BGA chip has pins which have broken away
from the motherboard. There are places in the U.S. that will do a
competent repair and mod for $125.00. Chuck

Sorta. It's not really Nvidia's fault. Any of the large BGA chips
have problems maintaining a connection to the PCB. The court
settlement which extended the manufacturers warranty for such design
screwups is long over.
http://web.archive.org/web/20110714213423/http://nvidiasettlement.com/affectedmodels.html
The HP dv6 is not on the list of affected models, but is one that I've
seen in the shop crap out in the same manner. You'll find vendors on
ebay that will fix it. For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170756141807
You can also try to fix it yourself with a hot air desoldering
station. It's not easy or reliable.
# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:47:39 PM UTC+11, awni wrote:
Hi all..
Just discovered this section of internet, News Groups.
Need help in the repair of a HP DV6-2012AX notebook.
Does not post. All lights on but no initial bost screen.
Anyone know what or where I could find any information to start trouble
shooting the motherboard?
This series is designed andbuild by Quanta computers in taiwan.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

yes, it is a solder joint problem, by accident I turned on the motherboard without the heatsink and fan assembly, within about 10 seconds the motherboard booted up. I then re-installed the heatsink and fan back on, while still warm, the motherboard functioned perfect. Turned it off and let it cool down to room temp, then tried to power up, same fault, all lights on and no post. after further inspection and testing found the Graphics IC to be at fault, needs reball and reflow. Same problem as all the damn ATI Graphics cards with large heatsinks.
Thank you all that have helped, your support is greatly appreciated.