Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] awni@pcau.com is offline

Default HP Pavilion DV6-2012AX not posting

On Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:47:39 PM UTC+11, awni wrote:
Hi all..
Just discovered this section of internet, News Groups.
Need help in the repair of a HP DV6-2012AX notebook.
Does not post. All lights on but no initial bost screen.
Anyone know what or where I could find any information to start trouble
shooting the motherboard?
This series is designed andbuild by Quanta computers in taiwan.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

yes, it is a solder joint problem, by accident I turned on the motherboard without the heatsink and fan assembly, within about 10 seconds the motherboard booted up. I then re-installed the heatsink and fan back on, while still warm, the motherboard functioned perfect. Turned it off and let it cool down to room temp, then tried to power up, same fault, all lights on and no post. after further inspection and testing found the Graphics IC to be at fault, needs reball and reflow. Same problem as all the damn ATI Graphics cards with large heatsinks.
Thank you all that have helped, your support is greatly appreciated.