Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Calibrating Wein (Honeywell) WP1000 Flash Meter

Anyone have info on adjusting this device? I have the owners manual, but
that does not cover the multiple adjustments inside the meter.

Using it to test a bunch of flash tube operated rifles and pistols for
my light beam rifle range...

Thanks,

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A couple of questions...

The Wein displays an f-stop when you fire the flash. How does the f-stop
correlate with what you need to know about the flash-tube rifles and
pistols? To put it the other way around, if the "guns" work correctly at the
maximum distance, then it doesn't really matter /what/ the Wein reads --
that reading can become your reference.

Why do you think the Wein needs calibration?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
A couple of questions...

The Wein displays an f-stop when you fire the flash. How does the f-stop
correlate with what you need to know about the flash-tube rifles and
pistols? To put it the other way around, if the "guns" work correctly at the
maximum distance, then it doesn't really matter /what/ the Wein reads --
that reading can become your reference.

Why do you think the Wein needs calibration?

I don't care what the display reads relative to the F-Stop, what I am
using it for is a relative brightness meter. If some rifles are brighter
than others or their controller boxes give a brighter flash that info is
useful for getting the guns working at their best (customers are happier).

The problem with the Wein is when turned on the meter pulls below the
scale to the left, and when I use a camera flash (testing) the ten times
scale doesn't move enough to be useful. The 1Xscale gives me about 1/2
scale when the camera flash is a couple of feet away and the F-stop is
set to maximum sensitivity.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John Robertson" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

The Wein displays an f-stop when you fire the flash. How does the
f-stop correlate with what you need to know about the flash-tube
rifles and pistols? To put it the other way around, if the "guns" work
correctly at the maximum distance, then it doesn't really matter
/what/ the Wein reads -- that reading can become your reference.

Why do you think the Wein needs calibration?

I don't care what the display reads relative to the f-stop, what I am
using it for is a relative brightness meter. If some rifles are brighter
than others or their controller boxes give a brighter flash that info is
useful for getting the guns working at their best (customers are happier).

The problem with the Wein is when turned on the meter pulls below
the scale to the left...

If I recall correctly, that's normal. (But it's been many years.)

...and when I use a camera flash (testing) the 10X scale doesn't move
enough to be useful. The 1X scale gives me about 1/2 scale when the
camera flash is a couple of feet away and the f-stop [sic] is set to
maximum sensitivity.

I'm assuming this is an "old" unit -- the Wein has been around 40+ years.
The apparent insensitivity is probably due to the unit being "broken",
rather than miscalibrated. For example, the FET might be leaky.

You said you used "a camera flash" to test it. You need to find a
conventional separate flash whose manual guide number you know, and fire it
in manual mode. You can then see whether the Wein displays the correct
f-stop. If it's not within a half-stop or so, you can be reasonably certain
the problem is with the meter.