Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default exploring inside an LCD backlight area

You may already realize that newer models utilize LEDs, although I haven't
actually had one of 'em apart.

I have some Sony FDL-X600 6" LCD video monitors which use a bent FL tube
behind the white layer, instead of along the sides.
The tube goes back ' forth widthwise with three 180 degree bends.. I don't
know if there would be a way to improvise the single lamp with several
smaller ones.
These monitors have some advanced features that most LCD units don't have,
such as a knob adjustment which electronically (not mechanically) improves
the image at different viewing angles, and switching for color temperature
in addition to the regularly included brightness, contrast, color and tint.

I generally like the display of LCDs for color and brightness, but watching
fast motion is bad on the cheap 22" Coby that I watch sometimes.

For computer monitors, LCDs are hard to beat for compactness and cooler
operating temperatures.

I don't know the special characteristics of the layers of diffusers used
behind LCDs, but I can notice a slightly darker band in the center of the
Coby, but only when the entire screen is at a black level (no video
displayed).. otherwise, it's not noticeable.

--
Cheers,
WB

"N_Cook" wrote in message
For a laptop if different in a TV. Is there a specific name for those
sheets
of diffuser/refractor plastic. Look like a conflation of "straightened"
Fresnel lens and stationary image of TV picture noise but semirandom under
x30 viewing. I've never understood why no apparent unevenness of
illumination over the height of the screen and still don't see why that is
.
Something to do with , in this case, 3 sheets of different grades and
thickness of diffussion sheet?. Also anyone know how much shorter a light
tube replacement you can get away with before the edges of the screen
become
a/ unviewable , b/ noticeably less lit as a band at screen edges