Posted to sci.electronics.repair
cj cj is offline

Default 2nd broken ceramic top on Kitchenaid Superba KESC307 range

I have a Kitchenaid Superba KESC307 ceramic top slide-in range
(convection, digital oven controls).

Our family originally used it for 3-4 years and then it ended up in a
rental unit. The first renter had no problems for 2 years (related to
the stove anyway) and the second renter has now broken 2 of the
ceramic tops in less than 2 years (kudos to the renter for replacing
it the first time). Also one of the heating elements is burned out.

A repairman said it was possible the bezel around the ceramic top was
too tight and during heating/expansion it caused the glass to crack.
Is this possible after 8 years that the bezel has become too tight? As
it is a slide-in range, it is sliding into a "just big enough" space
between two tile counter tops. The same repairman said it was ok to
use iron skillets on ceramic tops, but I have heard otherwise. It is
possible the renter used iron skillets, but they gave me a somewhat
obscure answer to that question.

My main question are,
Do you have suggestion for finding a lower-cost replacement for the
ceramic top - perhaps a cross-reference to a "lower-end" brand than
Kitchenaid that uses the same top.

And should I replace the bezel too?

I would hate to take the $1200 stove to the dump, but I don't want to
spend $300+ to fix something that will just break again in a few
months. I realize there are no guarantees.

Thank you,
Christopher

PS: I posted a question on AR speakers back in 2007, and I never
replied to the posts. So, a very belated thank you to William, Ross
and Greg.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 23, 1:59*pm, cj wrote:
[...]

How about, boiled over didn't watch the pan?

The cooling from the liquid [if the ceramic is way too hot] will cause
it to try to locally contract. Ceramic is better than stone at being
able to take that kind of tension but not much. The stuff is really
designed for compression.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 24, 9:51*am, Robert Macy wrote:
On Jul 23, 1:59*pm, cj wrote:

[...]

I had the ceramic top on my GE stove crack twice in the first two
years I owned it. The first time it was automatically covered by the
manufacturers warranty. The second time I had to fight GE to get them
to cover it, and eventually they did. The repairman each time he came
out had no explanation for the two mishaps. It's now been 8 years
since the second top and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll never
pay for a third new top nor will I ever buy another ceramic top stove.
My wife cooks and I clean up and don't get me wrong, a glass top stove
is a breeze to clean up but in my opinion transferring heat through
the ceramic is both a bad idea and a very inefficient way to heat a
pan. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
cj cj is offline

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll be getting rid of this range. I
definitely agree the ceramic is easy to clean. We have a gas range now
and I loathe cleaning it.

CJ