Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default 2nd broken ceramic top on Kitchenaid Superba KESC307 range

On Jul 23, 1:59*pm, cj wrote:
I have a Kitchenaid Superba KESC307 ceramic top slide-in range
(convection, digital oven controls).

Our family originally used it for 3-4 years and then it ended up in a
rental unit. The first renter had no problems for 2 years (related to
the stove anyway) and the second renter has now broken 2 of the
ceramic tops in less than 2 years (kudos to the renter for replacing
it the first time). Also one of the heating elements is burned out.

A repairman said it was possible the bezel around the ceramic top was
too tight and during heating/expansion it caused the glass to crack.
Is this possible after 8 years that the bezel has become too tight? As
it is a slide-in range, it is sliding into a "just big enough" space
between two tile counter tops. The same repairman said it was ok to
use iron skillets on ceramic tops, but I have heard otherwise. It is
possible the renter used iron skillets, but they gave me a somewhat
obscure answer to that question.

My main question are,
Do you have suggestion for finding a lower-cost replacement for the
ceramic top - perhaps a cross-reference to a "lower-end" brand than
Kitchenaid that uses the same top.

And should I replace the bezel too?

I would hate to take the $1200 stove to the dump, but I don't want to
spend $300+ to fix something that will just break again in a few
months. I realize there are no guarantees.

Thank you,
Christopher

PS: I posted a question on AR speakers back in 2007, and I never
replied to the posts. So, a very belated thank you to William, Ross
and Greg.

How about, boiled over didn't watch the pan?

The cooling from the liquid [if the ceramic is way too hot] will cause
it to try to locally contract. Ceramic is better than stone at being
able to take that kind of tension but not much. The stuff is really
designed for compression.